Page 30 of 43 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Thread: Dtivo Video Extraction

go ahead and post it, there are some things besides video extraction that come to mind which I could use it for.
    Before PMing me: Iím not your personal tech support. If you have a question, ask in public so I don't have to repeat if somebody else asks. If you want images or slices, use emule. I will ignore all support PMs.

Sponsor a vegetarian! I have taken the pledge, how about you?

ok, here you go.. i've included rz and sz in the zips..

What to do after extracting...

One of the main uses I'll be putting my turbonet card to (when it arrives) is so I can extract shows so I can archive them (instead of heaps of VHS tapes)
    How close is the DtiVo's format to something normal like SVCD?

I was just doing some reading of DVD compatibility
    http://www.vcdhelp.com/dvdplayers.php
    and noticed the apex 1500 seems to be able to read almost anything you throw at it (VCD,SVCD,XVCD,XSVCD) People have mentioned they've just written straight Mpeg files on a CD and played them.

Has anyone tried to play a DTiVo mpeg on an Apex?

My thoughts were to pull the streams from my DTiVo, modify it just enough so it'll play on something like the Apex (and a PC) and burn it on a CD for short shows and a DVD-R for movies. With 4.7 Gig available, could probably get 2 movies per DVD.

Thoughts, ideas, experience, holeblowing anyone?

Sky

Man alive. Ok. Using netcat on Juppers DTivo I used the new mfs_stream program. (Named as requested here.) That can be renamed as ExtractStream so that TivoApp can still be used. Doing a dump of the 1hour DA episode took 14:47... I cannot believe that. Off of my SA Tivo it takes 53 minutes to grab a 1 hour episode.

The output file is byte by byte identical to the plain old vanilla mfs_export. And it parses as perfectly as the other file. (the one extracted using mfs_export.)

So it looks like we are back...

You will find attached all of the source files. The only one really different is mfs_stream.c, not the mfs_streams.c which was already there..., but you will need the others. I had to go through each one and convert each printf() to fprintf(stderr, ) calls.

Otherwise any warnings etc would become part of the TyStream file and that would produce junk. Lots and lots of it.

--jdiner

I have several APEX DVD players. They all work sweet. They are all the older A600a but once they had it "right" before I can't believe they would take features out. I love them.

Added the region free hack just because...

--jdiner

The VSplit project is opensource. Or at least it will be again when I get to the point where I stop making massive rewrites on an almost daily basis. With this latest version it looks like we are to the 95% success rate. If that remains the case then I will be cleaning the source a bit and releasing it.

All of this in preparation for the next stage. MUX'ing. I have all of what I need to make this work. I just needed working streams. As I said we seem to have this now.

--jdiner

Can you use netcat with MFS Export?

I believe that you can. But that you have to use the mkfifo command to make a pipe. Then use that file-pipe as output from mfs_export and input into the nc call with a < redirection.

With the one I made you can do:

mfs_stream -s 1 2 3 4 | nc -n -w 3 addr port

and it will start running. Which is what it needed to do to run right under TivoApp.

--jdiner

Hmmm, there's alot of Apex players out there.
    Are any of them any better for viewing what comes from a DTiVo?
    (or worse?)
    How much work is needed to convert a DTivo stream to something compatible to an Apex?

Sky

Originally posted by skywise
    How much work is needed to convert a DTivo stream to something compatible to an Apex?

Sky
    Almost none. On a lark, I took the output from vsplit, muxed it with TMPGEnc (simple multiplex) and then pulled it into VCDEasy. Burned a disc, popped it into my AD-703, and hit play. It had some minor issues, but it actually played better than any of the software players I have. This was a while ago, with an earlier vsplit and ExtractStream instead of mfs_export.

Now, if only I could find a portable player that good.

-Z

skywise,

My easily made non-standard dTivo SVCD on an Apex see:
    http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...&pagenumber=24
    I know they play fine on several models of Apex's, mine is a AD600a, but it will not play on a Toshiba SD-1200 and a few others I have tried.

Just a little note that with the turbonet and the 14 minute extraction, your directivo is basically useless until the extraction is complete. In other words, don't plan on recording or watching anything during that process.

OK, with mfs_stream, netcat and vsplit9, I now get zero errors on output.

Excellent job jdiner !!!

The resulting two files are another story. I can watch the video in DVD2AVI. I can listen to the audio in Premiere. I can simple multiplex in TMPenc and get mpeg that is viewable and listenable in PowerDVD. Everything else chokes, including TMPenc to re-encode.

I tried the suggestion of VCDeasy. This gives the error unknown user data tag id 0x06 encountered.

When I first started this endevor I could get both to show up in Premiere. No go anymore. Any ideas on what has happened or where to go?

Originally posted by Juppers
    Just a little note that with the turbonet and the 14 minute extraction, your directivo is basically useless until the extraction is complete. In other words, don't plan on recording or watching anything during that process.
    Oh man. I hope I did not mess anything up for you. It might have been right during DA again when I was working on it... Sorry. I had been working so long today that I had lost track of time.

BTW, I have an all-in-one solution for the SA Tivo something like TivoApp but just working the way I like better. I have buried in it code that sets it to the lowest priority. When running it I can watch 1 stream, record another, and pull from the machine all at the same time with no glitches. I did not put the priority code, from Embeem of AVS Forum, into this exe... Might not be a bad idea to do it if it is causing problems like that. If people want me to add it I will. It would only take about 5 minutes...

--jdiner
    Last edited by jdiner; 03-30-2002 at 03:07 AM.

Rather than wait here it is. The mfs_stream program with an automatic priority setting to the lowest possible level. This means recording and playing comes first which is often what you would want anyway. I didn't run any speed tests. But here it is...

--jdiner