Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TivoHD and MPEG4

TivoHD and MPEG4

Comcast just sent me notice that its switching to MPEG4 for HD in a few weeks. I presume that means my modded TivoHD won't be able to record the HD channels after the switch. Is there any way around this?

Not that I know of. You'd need a Roamio. Some discussion at TCF.
    Steve

I guess no one has found a copy of the rumored new zealand version of the tivo hd software which supports mpeg4 and managed to upload it to a US tivo hd?

bb

Quote Originally Posted by buccobruce View Post
    I guess no one has found a copy of the rumored new zealand version of the tivo hd software which supports mpeg4 and managed to upload it to a US tivo hd?
    There was some discussion of mpeg4 on the s3, chat, maybe as long as a couple of years years ago. The feeling was the A/NZ version wouldn't work as is but transplanting the code would be reasonably simple; unfortunately most of the talent was on its way out of the series 3's and even Tivos altogether.

Personally I'd contribute quite a bit to a bounty, but I just don't think the talent to do it is around anymore.

If anyone is listening on this board who is smarter than me, I would be happy to contribute to preserve my drm free recordings.

bb

I just wanted to ad that the S3/HD have the hardware to decode mpeg4 from the cable company, it's just a mater of it the tivo software supports it or not at this time. But with that being said, if it's not already supported it can be made to support.

TiVo has announced that they will support mpeg4 on the HD after all! Dave Zatz had a blog post that referenced the Comcast transition page. Read it here: http://zatznotfunny.com/2016-01/tivo-hd-mpeg4/
    More software at http://davidlauria.com/software.
    The lost alt-rock masterpiece from the '90s, Range of Motion's "Soft Buzz of Silence", is now available on iTunes!

Quote Originally Posted by djl View Post
    TiVo has announced that they will support mpeg4 on the HD after all! Dave Zatz had a blog post that referenced the Comcast transition page. Read it here: http://zatznotfunny.com/2016-01/tivo-hd-mpeg4/
    Tivo plans to release the new software the week of 1/17. People who've inhibited software upgrades will need to allow install the software and update their custom modifications.

wow, it's actually happening. Someone please correct me on this, but I don't remember 11.0k breaking my CCI patches.

For my 652's, what I did in the past was to get one up and running successfully with patches (also transferring all my recordings off the drive beforehand, deleting the recorded shows and emptying the deleted folder), image it using WinMFS, pull the other drives, restore the image to the each drive, and then do a system delete and restore (upon putting the drive back in, the TiVo has a bit of a fit, but a delete and restore fixes it up and doesn't mess with your patches) - I've done this at least 4-5 times now. I'll try to post an image with a post-patched drive to make it easy for people once I get the upgrade, and assuming it doesn't break the patches.

Quote Originally Posted by karpodiem View Post
    wow, it's actually happening.
    You're actually seeing it?

No reason you have to move programs off your tivo. No reason you have to pull your drive. Good instructions

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...548#post318548

Got 11.0n last night - my CCI patches still work. My area hasn't transitioned over to MPEG-4, can't really test it yet. Maybe by this summer?

Got 11.0n last night - my CCI patches still work. My area hasn't transitioned over to MPEG-4, can't really test it yet. Maybe by this summer?
    Excellent news. Next news to look/hope for would be that the existing cci patches still work for the mpeg4 channels.

So far it seems the update did not change tivoapp? Or that any change in tivoapp was so minor that the code locations involved with the cci patch remained the same.

Also this report seems to mean that the update to "n" is universal and not limited to areas where a full or partial mpeg transition has occurred.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Dylan View Post
    Excellent news. Next news to look/hope for would be that the existing cci patches still work for the mpeg4 channels.

So far it seems the update did not change tivoapp? Or that any change in tivoapp was so minor that the code locations involved with the cci patch remained the same.

Also this report seems to mean that the update to "n" is universal and not limited to areas where a full or partial mpeg transition has occurred.
    Word on the street (dslreports.com -> Comcast TV forum) is that they're cramming 10 channels per QAM band (don't quote me on that, not an Rf engineer) and that the bitrate is in the 3-4Mbit range. Woof.

I was just looking for the patches, glad to see 11.0m still works on 11.0n. Now to cross my fingers, pray, rub my rabbits foot, make sure I have my four leaf clover and I will attempt the upgrade.... What did I forget???