Thread: HR-10-250 still in use, how big can I go with the HDD's?

flagmaster Guest

HR-10-250 still in use, how big can I go with the HDD's?

I still have and love my HR-10-250. I use it as a 2nd dvr in the home, and pretty much only for OTA recordings. What is the MAX SIZE of hard drive/drives I can put in this thing as usable recording space?

Currently it has 1 750gig IDE. At one time it had qty 2 250 IDE's. I still have all my notes and boot disks on how to add a 2nd drive. Im just wondering how big I can go max?

Its on 6.4a-01-2-357 with some hacks. (30 sec skip, nano, extraction, telnet, no encrypt)

Currently shows up to 96 hours of HD.

Thinking about yanking out the 750 and putting in a 500 SSD for speed, and mating it with a 2nd 1 gig for a total 1.5 gig space.
    The ssd would need to be sata converted, I have that part.

Quote Originally Posted by flagmaster View Post
    What is the MAX SIZE of hard drive/drives I can put in this thing as usable recording space?... Currently it has 1 750gig IDE. At one time it had qty 2 250 IDE's....Thinking about yanking out the 750 and putting in a 500 SSD for speed
    I have 1 TB drives in a whole bunch of HR10-250s over the years. I know I've done 1.5 and 2.0 TBs and there was no problem but you may need special settings to get the whole drive space allocated, may have a practical default limit of 1.2 TB, my recollection is foggy on that.

Using an SSD would be a Very Bad Thing. The disk access activity is so continual that it would put a lot of stress on the memory and I suspect it would burn out within a matter of months. I doubt any speed advantage would be achieved that you'd notice.

I love the HR10-250. Slow, but still very useful. The big weakness is the lack of ability to play standard mpeg files from your home network library. Getting mpegs OUT is obviously no problem but playback from the network is .tmf/,ty only via MovieLoader. Someone was working on a process for converting mpegs to .tmf's on the fly for playback but nothing ever came of it.
    Last edited by Roger Dylan; 10-21-2015 at 11:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by flagmaster View Post
    I still have and love my HR-10-250. I use it as a 2nd dvr in the home, and pretty much only for OTA recordings. What is the MAX SIZE of hard drive/drives I can put in this thing as usable recording space?

Currently it has 1 750gig IDE. At one time it had qty 2 250 IDE's. I still have all my notes and boot disks on how to add a 2nd drive. Im just wondering how big I can go max?

Its on 6.4a-01-2-357 with some hacks. (30 sec skip, nano, extraction, telnet, no encrypt)

Currently shows up to 96 hours of HD.

Thinking about yanking out the 750 and putting in a 500 SSD for speed, and mating it with a 2nd 1 gig for a total 1.5 gig space.
    The ssd would need to be sata converted, I have that part.
    If that model can run two drives, Master and Slave, on the one IDE cable, then you should be able to use 2 1TB drives, each with an IDE/SATA adapter running a Marvell or JMicron chipset, for a total of 2TB, just like you can with non-satellite S1s and S2s.

I tried to see if I could run a 2TB drive in an S2 DT, the last of the non-sat S2s, with an eye towards eventually running 2 of them, for a total of 4TB, but even though it sort of seemed to work at first, it acted up, and I needed to use the TiVo as a TiVo and the drive in an S3, so I gave up the experiment for lack of time and money.
    Too busy TiVo wrangling to watch television anymore.