Thread: Tivo2 as an Analog to Digital Converter Only - ala carte

Tivo2 as an Analog to Digital Converter Only - ala carte

First post and everything, and yes I am also doing much reading of Stickies and Google searches, etc.

I think I may have a very specific request, so here goes. (Chancing ridicule and scorn...)

Its my understanding that there are basically two components to a Tivo; the Hardware and the Tivo Subscription.

I have absolutely no interest in the features the Tivo Subscription, as I understand them, provides.

What I am looking to do is attach a device sending Analog signal to the Tivo box, record to the internal Hard Drive, and ultimately extract those digitized files out of the Tivo to a PC/Ext HD, etc.

Toward this end I am willing to nuke the existing OS/Firmware in the box, and if probable use some alternative OS, etc to record and import/export files.

What say you, oh experienced people?

The first part you can do with some >14-year-old TiVos but not newer ones. The second part you can do with some older models but not recent ones. Neither is really a good application for a TiVo and using alternative software is a non-starter as the box uses custom hardware. I suggest you look for a different solution.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by TBerk View Post
    First post and everything, and yes I am also doing much reading of Stickies and Google searches, etc.

I think I may have a very specific request, so here goes. (Chancing ridicule and scorn...)

Its my understanding that there are basically two components to a Tivo; the Hardware and the Tivo Subscription.

I have absolutely no interest in the features the Tivo Subscription, as I understand them, provides.

What I am looking to do is attach a device sending Analog signal to the Tivo box, record to the internal Hard Drive, and ultimately extract those digitized files out of the Tivo to a PC/Ext HD, etc.

Toward this end I am willing to nuke the existing OS/Firmware in the box, and if probable use some alternative OS, etc to record and import/export files.

What say you, oh experienced people?
    In order to get a Series 2 to use its line inputs and record from them, you have to lie to it about having a cable box or satellite receiver.

This requires going through at least part of Guided Setup again, and will require the TiVo to contact the TiVo servers for program info on the cable or satellite service it thinks you have.

Which probably won't happen because the TiVo servers will see that the account status of that TiVo is "not subscribed".

To get the TiVo to co-operate with having recordings copied off of it over a LAN to a PC, it'll have to have that feature enabled, which requires going to the TiVo website and logging into your account, which you don't have.

Some sort of video capture card in a PC would probably be a much better solution.

I don't know of any particular brand/model to recommend or warn against, but you could plug

site:http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/index.php? video capture

into Google and see if capture cards have been discussed over at TCF in the past, or go to

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/index.php?

and try the onsite search tool.

And you could try the onsite search feature here at DDB to see if anyone talked about it here in the past.
    Too busy TiVo wrangling to watch television anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by unitron View Post
    In order to get a Series 2 to use its line inputs and record from them, you have to lie to it about having a cable box or satellite receiver.

This requires going through at least part of Guided Setup again, and will require the TiVo to contact the TiVo servers for program info on the cable or satellite service it thinks you have.

Which probably won't happen because the TiVo servers will see that the account status of that TiVo is "not subscribed".

To get the TiVo to co-operate with having recordings copied off of it over a LAN to a PC, it'll have to have that feature enabled, which requires going to the TiVo website and logging into your account, which you don't have.

Some sort of video capture card in a PC would probably be a much better solution.

I don't know of any particular brand/model to recommend or warn against, but you could plug

site:http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/index.php? video capture

into Google and see if capture cards have been discussed over at TCF in the past, or go to

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/index.php?

and try the onsite search tool.

And you could try the onsite search feature here at DDB to see if anyone talked about it here in the past.
    It's in detail. Thanks.