Thread: Bounty for Series 3/HD receiving mpeg4 Channels?

Bounty for Series 3/HD receiving mpeg4 Channels?

Are there any around who are really into tivoapp, etc. and/or know how to get in touch with those who used to work on it?

I was not involved in previous bounty efforts so I don't know how one gets started or organized, nor do I know if there's enough expertise and interest still around to be able to get it done. But I would make a considerable $ contribution to such an effort. Obviously it would have to be mostly for fun because I doubt we're talking more than a couple/few thousand at best (and my start could be a big chunk of that). I know most of the hobbyists have moved on but maybe there's some nostalgia interest?

The Tivo 3 platform is the only Tivo platform on which we can turn off the cci bytes; we are unlikely ever to see another Tivo where this is possible. We know mpeg4 capability is already in the hardware. We know that cci-bitten shows, once recorded on a hacked s3, can be accessed freely by the home LAN through s4s and Roamios, etc. IOW the S3 can serve as the "harvester" for a home system of other Tivos for getting cci-bitten shows into the LAN; but as of now only the mpeg2 channels. We know that the New Zealand/Australian versions of the Series 3 receive mpeg4 channels.

These are my reasons for thinking that reinvigorating the Series3, which Tivo has declined to do in the U.S., would be possibly a Good Thing for Tivo customers.

I invite discussion as to whether such a project is practical or feasible.

My knowledge of tivoapp focused on the specific patches and more generally tivo's underlying security subsystem. Series 3 units have been marooned with an 11.x tivoapp for years now, while s4 and up have gone through some major changes (including the mpeg4 recordings). Those things (as well as driver support) make it hard to get mpeg4 working on an s3.

Given that the s4 and s5 units were vulnerable to shellshock, an alternative approach might be a bounty for a working kexec or monte port. With that, one could chainload from the vulnerable 20.4.4a software to more current software.

i would be happy to contribute, but i think that digital hole is closing.

bb

Tivo has quietly "announced" that they will be upgrading the model HD with this capability "first half 2016" but not the series 3. It is possible based on my experience during a couple of cable channels converting from mpeg2 to mpeg4 that they are simply re-activating a software capability that was always there (since the OZ version anyway).

So far, nobody at Tivo is claiming the bounty!
    Last edited by Roger Dylan; 01-03-2016 at 05:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Dylan View Post
    Tivo has quietly "announced" that they will be upgrading the model HD with this capability "first half 2016" but not the series 3. It is possible based on my experience during a couple of cable channels converting from mpeg2 to mpeg4 that they are simply re-activating a software capability that was always there (since the OZ version anyway).

So far, nobody at Tivo is claiming the bounty!
    Actually 11.0n has been coming down to TivoHD units allowing for MPEG4 tv recording and watching. My 2 boxes took the upgrade last night.

Quote Originally Posted by philhu View Post
    Actually 11.0n has been coming down to TivoHD units allowing for MPEG4 tv recording and watching. My 2 boxes took the upgrade last night.
    Thread begun on that distribution 1/22/16 in the series3 support thread if you'd care to share some experience.

Thanks.

So... TivoHD but not Series3? This is probably a dumb question - but can the 11.0n TivoHD bits be shoehorned onto a Series3?

Unlikely. the chipset is different and the TiVo HD update represents a modification of already released software (NZ version).

bb

Quote Originally Posted by swinokur View Post
    can the 11.0n TivoHD bits be shoehorned onto a Series3?
    The last Tivo employee capable of doing anything like that was force-marched by Tom Rogers out the front door and onto the sidewalk in May 2011, after signing a non-disclosure agreement as a condition of getting a termination settlement of 39 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Dylan View Post
    The last Tivo employee capable of doing anything like that was force-marched by Tom Rogers out the front door and onto the sidewalk in May 2011, after signing a non-disclosure agreement as a condition of getting a termination settlement of 39 cents.
    I hadn't heard of this story--did this really happen or am I gullible?

I would think what this implies is that there are no current Tivo employees who know how the old software/hardware works. The 11.0n was probably taking some code from the Aussie Tivo HD and putting it in the old software 11.0m. Probably turning on a chip and calling a validation routine.

The fact you cannot transfer to TivoDesktop is a pretty good proof that nothing extra was added.

I bet the ONLY reason that Tivo did 11.0n is their lawyers told them that they cannot be selling lifetime subscriptions when they let a machine go obsolete because it is missing code. Missing hardware? Yes, but not code since updating code is considered a cost of doing business to keep a device functional if it is lifetime supported.