Thread: Tivo HD software upgrade

Tivo HD software upgrade

I haven't gotten an 11.0m to 11.0n upgrade yet on my hacked TivoHD and am in one of the areas that requires it for H.264. It's been so long since I hacked this device that I don't remember if I could have done something to have prevented such an update. is there something that could be preventing it? I've sent an email to margret@tivo.com requesting it specifically but no response yet. It's only been a couple days since this unit has been off for a long time but want to make sure that I can get what is probably the last upgrade it'll ever need.

Typically one of the recommended steps for hacking TiVos is to disable updates. It's been so long since I've been in that game that I don't remember the details, but it's some setting in a startup script.
    Steve

There is a hack called "nothanks" which was the following on 11.0m:
    0x007c5160 "10400008 10000008" //nothanks
    The other thing which was required was changing the bootpage to add the "upgradesoftware=false"
    bootpage -P "root=/dev/hdXY brev=0x100A dsscon=true console=2,115200 upgradesoftware=false"

My bootpage doesn't have this. It just shows:
    bootpage -p /dev/hda
    root=/dev/hda4
    I have not found any evidence in my Tivo directory that had the patches in that the //nothanks patch was ever applied on my system.
    I suspect that I didn't apply them to 11.0m since the thought was that there would never be any other patches.

I'm just surprised that I haven't had the update show up yet.

Again, my experience of hacking stops at 4.x, but can you look to see if the newer slices are present in MFS?
    Steve

No idea on how to do that.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevel View Post
    Again, my experience of hacking stops at 4.x, but can you look to see if the newer slices are present in MFS?

Tivo support told me today that they won't provide the update because they are no longer deploying it for the TivoHD. It didn't mater to them that I needed it to get my current Comcast lineup. I guess if you missed out on it earlier this year that you're SOL. Anybody got a copy that they can provide to me?

Quote Originally Posted by mlcarson View Post
    Tivo support told me today that they won't provide the update because they are no longer deploying it for the TivoHD. It didn't mater to them that I needed it to get my current Comcast lineup. I guess if you missed out on it earlier this year that you're SOL. Anybody got a copy that they can provide to me?
    wow, that's interesting. Yeah, I've got a TiVo 652160 running 11.0n - I'm going to try and extract it this weekend for you. Interestingly, I'm able to pull off MPEG-2 shows on my 11.0n without issue - are you? Is it only the MPEG-4 channels you can't extract? Someone here said that you need to transfer MPEG-4 shows to a Premier/Roamio first before using a 3rd party app to transfer off the .tivo files so you can edit them with VideoRedo or something else. Do you have a Premier TiVo in your household by chance? Would be interested in seeing this proof of concept performed to see if this is all true.

I was able to get a copy of 11.0n and now have it on my TivoHD. It allowed all of my H.264 channels to work that weren't recording properly on my Roamio. Apparently the backup I restored only had the software on the hda7 partition which is fine but I didn't catch it and it swapped to hda4 on Monday for some reason. It appears that it detected the hda4 partition as corrupt and downloaded the 11.0m software to it and then swapped the bootpage to /dev/hda4. I swapped it back to /dev/hda7 and everything was working again so then DD'd the hda7 partition to hda4 and copied the kernel from hda6 to hda3. Everything is working but there is an anomaly which I don't understand; the system information is showing the software as 11.0m-01-2-652 rather than 11.0n.b1-01-2-652. It was showing 11.0n.b1-01-2-652 before the switchover to hda4. The software has to be 11.0n.b1-01-2-652 because it's working with the H.264 channels and 11.0M was not. This seems to just be a cosmetic thing but does anybody know why this would happen? Both partitions should be 11.0n.b1-01-2-652 at this point and everything is working.

Quote Originally Posted by karpodiem View Post
    wow, that's interesting. Yeah, I've got a TiVo 652160 running 11.0n - I'm going to try and extract it this weekend for you. Interestingly, I'm able to pull off MPEG-2 shows on my 11.0n without issue - are you? Is it only the MPEG-4 channels you can't extract? Someone here said that you need to transfer MPEG-4 shows to a Premier/Roamio first before using a 3rd party app to transfer off the .tivo files so you can edit them with VideoRedo or something else. Do you have a Premier TiVo in your household by chance? Would be interested in seeing this proof of concept performed to see if this is all true.

I only found out about 11N now. Almost all the HD channels in my Comcast area are now
    mpeg4, so my TivoHD has not been very useful.

I'm going to try and beg Tivo support for 11N, but it sounds like that isn't going to work.
    Is there another way?

By the way, mine has the hacked prom. Are their patches for 11N for the prom?

There is a new update coming out to allow for the new guide data. Maybe they have stopped distributing 11.0n as there is another update coming?
    pm me if you would like 11.0n for the 652.

bb

One of my TiVo HD 652160s was upgraded to build 11.0n.H1 last night - I have three other Tivo HD's that I need to patch (they're all on 11.0k - hey, if it's not broken, no need to fix it. I disabled updates on those boxes - the fourth I had updates allowed) but eventually my Comcast area will be switched over to MPEG-4, and I'll need the guide data. So next weekend's project is to take the image from that one TiVo with 11.0n.H1, and image the other boxes.

Oh, and 11.0n.H1 also contains the switch for Rovi guide data.

send me an e-mail if you'd like a link to download it - karpodiem at gmail dot com (I will have it available next weekend, 9/17)

*updated - all my CCI patches are intact after the update, so everything still records/works.
    Last edited by karpodiem; 09-11-2016 at 03:35 PM.