Thread: New software august 2016???

New software august 2016???

Tivo has announced a change in guide data suppliers from Tribune (Gracenotes) to Rovi. Rumor is the changeover date will be toward the end of August. I have no idea if the change will require a software update. If a software update is required, and you have software updates blocked, you might not get guide data. People need to stay on top of the situation. People who won't be around the end of August might consider removing any impediment you have to software updates. If software is updated you'll probably need the updated software ASAP. If necessary pull your drive and hack after the fact.

Speculation is the programID number is proprietary to Gracenote. I have no idea if the data base will have to be updated to include fields for both Rovi and Gracenote program ID. I don't know if there will some kind of conversion required.

Source? More details?
    They say beer will make me dumb. It are go good with pizza!-----------
    3XR10, prommed, 3xdvr40,4xdvr39, all networked, ranging from 40GB to 750GB

TiVo said earlier that they would have to "wind down" their use of Gracenote/TMS and transition to Rovi. I can't find anything giving an approximate date for this, but August is not out of the question.
    Steve

There have been calls for volunteers to test new beta software for series 2 and 3 tivos.

bb

The change in guide data vendor was announced by tivo. Tivo said they were unable to negotiate a short term extension nor were the able to renew the contract under favorable terms. David Zatz is the original source if the 90 day transition deadline. PP isaid tivo was looking for beta testers.

Quote Originally Posted by buccobruce View Post
    There have been calls for volunteers to test new beta software for series 2 and 3 tivos.

bb
    ha, so they're looking for guide data beta testers but they stopped distributing the upgrade for h.264 compatibility for Tivo HD's? meh.

According to Ira Bahr - TiVo's Chief Marketing Officer as as per 20 questions on TCF tivo units S2-S6 are getting software upgrades this week.
    There is a two-step process. Just this week, we updated the software on the S2-S6 boxes for the new data feeds. Starting next week we will be transitioning these boxes to the new data. During that download which will occur in the early AM hours and take two to three hours, the box will not be fully functional. After that, the DVR will function normally. We've done a ton of testing but we're counting on you guys to post any anomolies you might observe. Right now, we think the most obvious defect will be generic poster art on certain assets.

S1 units will make their final connection in September 15, their guide data will run out the end of September. I understand new soft for S2 and S3 units I'd in beta. We'll need to make sure software is installed when made available or we won't get guide data.

New software starting to roll out for the series 3s as we speak, to accommodate the degraded guide data. No sign of, more importantly, the HD version, at which time we will know if mpeg4, the hacks, and the Rovi guide data will all coexist.

I'm still running 11.0k on my Series 3. (I hacked it 3 years ago and stopped paying attention after nothing happened for a year.) I don't even seem to have slices for 11.0m or 11.0n in my system. Am I going to need to update to work with the new guide data?

If so, my next question is where I should go to look for slices? The slice begging thread seems to be dead.

HELP! I get no guide data anymore and, after pulling apart my machine, I see this thread. What to do??

You'll need to update. For TiVo HD, it's 11.0n.H1 or 11.0n.J1. I'm not sure what they're doing for TiVo S3s.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayle View Post
    You'll need to update. For TiVo HD, it's 11.0n.H1 or 11.0n.J1. I'm not sure what they're doing for TiVo S3s.
    I have 11.0n.H1 on my OLED Series 3.

bb