Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 11.0n.H1-01-2-652 for Tivo HD

The script I posted above does exactly this. In the bash shell, you can have the shell take care of the math and conversion, e.g.

Code:
    bash-2.02# addr=$(( 0x005d2978 - 0x400000 ))
    bash-2.02# echo $addr
    bash-2.02# echo -ne "\x10\x00\x00\xaa" | dd conv=notrunc of=tivoapp bs=1 seek=$addr
    But really, using a short script like the one I posted makes so much sense and reduces the chances of error.

Thanks, guys! I let this go so long that all of my TiVos are out of guide data. UGH!!! Who knew TiVo would STOP supporting the old process so quickly...

(I wish I had a good way to get the guide data to populate now, besides hitting connect, and crossing my fingers)

Another couple questions:
    1. How do you arrive at the disassembly address each time there a software update?
    2. If I have a TiVo that has not yet received the new software Pkg, is there a way to copy it from one of my TiVos that has received it!

HELP

Finally got over bad case of flu and started to do the hack for 11.0n. I am completely lost and frustrated at this point. I have a linux box (debian squeeze - ?6?) with all the old hack files from 11.0k (lrhorers scripts & files). I pulled my THD drive (which has already upgraded to 11.0n) and attached it to this system. Can't get file system to see this drive. Tried d/l and using UBCD (per sanjonny) and cannot get it to work as he indicated in Post #20. (incidentally - I think you typed the command backwards -"hack_tivo"?) I used superuser terminal to edit the hacks.fil (replaced old one with the new content for 11.0n) - still nothing works. I literally need initial step-by-steps to get this correct. I have the hacksnew.zip from sanjonny and also have the new cci info from the earlier posts in this thread. All I care about is disabling encryption so I can transfer to computer via Tivo Desktop. What do I need to do? Any help is greatly appreciated. Last time I did the hacks (11.0k) was Oct 1, 2011. I am an old guy and have a hard time remembering things from 5 weeks ago, let alone 5 years ago. My notes from that period are more confusing than helpful. Thanking you in advance for your patience. svenn

svenn:

I've never used lrhorer's script, I just skimmed the version in the forums here ( http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...738#post297738 ) and it seems ok though it does some things differently than I would. But without more information about what went wrong there's little prospect of fixing it.

For what you want to do: download new recordings using TiVo Desktop on channels which are normally protected from doing so by the CCI bytes; you need to patch tivoapp with the CCI patches, which means you need to patch the kernel. You don't need to do other steps that are often done.*

First, you need to find the name of the TiVo drive on the external computer you attached the drive to. It's probably /dev/sd? where ? is some letter, there will probably be several and you probably want the one with the largest letter. lrhorer's script uses a brute force method that makes me uncomfortable but probably won't hurt anything, however, here's the most likely reason for the script to fail, the drive might not be a /dev/sd? but have some other name and the script doesn't check for other possibilities.

* Though the other hacks might be a good idea. If you prevent automatic upgrade and set up remote shell access, you can later do a manual upgrade for the next software release which means you won't have to take the drive out of the TiVo box.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjonny View Post
    If you have a HD. I am about to make your day. Found a super easy way to do this. Was able to find my old files and all the setup I had done in the past with lrhorer's script so i have a tool if you want a total no brainer install. I will attach the files, but basically take this zip file, copy it to your root extract it and run tivo_hack and your done.

There is some extra crud in here, i will post a better version later, but this is brainless. Want to know an even better thing I found, I was able to do it using the Ultimate Boot Cd (my version from 2013) so I had other tools if i needed them. Just copied this file to the ram drive, unzipped and ran it and done. Will post detailed steps later, but that was a nice hack to not have to install anything on my computer.

This is for 11.n.h1.... for windows type machine anyway.

Attach tivo drive to your computer. I recommend you make a winmfs backup just in case. Put in ultimate boot cd or usb. I am assuming you know a little linux.

http://www.theryanrealty.com/tivostuff/hacknew.zip

You can either download the zip to a usb drive, or access it from inside partition magic. I had copied it to a usb drive, but tried both ways.
    This includes all hacks from the first post in this thread, except the nomek. I stupidly did not include the nothanks hack last time, and thus HAD to pull my drive to user lrhorer's script, so just in case in the future, I am adding that one.

Once it boots to the UCSB interface, select/boot to the Partition Magic interface. Its a mini linux install that will work. (provide more details later)

you can transfer the zip now using file manager, or download it using firefox or whatever browser comes with the UBCD. Open a terminal window (there is an option somewhere to open a root terminal window)
    copy or move the hacknew.zip file to the root directory, which will be a ram disk. the easiest way to get there using terminal is to type cd \ or cd .. till you get to the top root level.

Unzip the hacknew.zip file
    Code:
    unzip -r hacknew.zip
    if you look using ls, you should now have a hack directory in the root. Switch to it.
    Code:
    cd hack
    now you can again ls to see if everything came out okay. Ready? Luckily lrhorer's script is so awesome it will check everything for you...
    now you are going to run tivo_hack and the magic will happen.
    Code:
    sudo tivo_hack
    If for some reason you need the password, on my UBCD the root password was partedmagic

hopefully everything went okay. If it did, great....one more thing. copy the RemoveCpiAll.tcl to your newly hacked tivo drive. i recommend putting it in var/hack. You will need to run it once you are all booted up and running to remove any protection that recorded with copy protection so you can download the files. You can use file manager to do this or thru linux commands. Also, this zip file will automatically set you up with TWP running on port 8080 and starting at boot (I think). Once you have copied over the one removecpi script, close down the computer and boot the tivo. Yeah!

Now that you booted up and its all wonderful, check that TWP works if you like that. It should be accessible thru your browser at the tivo ip address with port 8080 at the end. For example if the tivo is at 192.168.0.15, then 192.168.0.15:8080 will bring up TivoWebPlus. If not and it is running on port 80. You can load it and change it thru the interface in the hacks directory.
    Now to remove the pesky copy protection from the files that recorded after the update...
    use putty or similar to access your tivo. Navigate to the hack directory...probably cd /var/hack and now run the script to remove copy protection
    First run the script will tell you what files it is going to work on.
    Code:
    RemoveCpiAll.tcl
    should give you a list of files that are copy protected, if it looks right the next step will remove them.
    Code:
    RemoveCpiAll.tcl ready
    After a bit, it should be done and you are all finished.

A couple things with my setup. if you go to the var directory, you will notice a hack8080.tar. Every once in awhile my TWP gets nuked and I just copy this file back onto the var directory and extract it. I put it there in the install process so I can find it and move it somewhere else. you can just delete it or leave it there. If you ever accidentally screw up TWP, you can just extract it and have a nice clean copy of it. There might be some other files in the directory from my machine that you do not want. You can delete those also. I am just offering this because it made it super easy to update this time.

I will clean this thread up a bit once I play around a bit more. Maybe we will never have to use this again, maybe not. Super kudos to lrhorer for his awesome script and all his and everyone elses help. I tried to post my zip file here, but I guess it was too big so I had to use my server address.

I will play with the zip a bit and see if I can make it smaller, there might be redundant stuff in there, but if you want to get up and hacked quick, this is the easy way to do it.
    I might need your help please.
    During the weekend I will try to fix my two s3 tivos that were previously patched with lrhorer's script.
    I do not remeber anything in how to use linux for patching the tivos :-(
    It has been too long. I do not even recall what version of linux I used...

Poor me :-(

marcolisi: If you are talking about an actual TiVo S3 and not a TiVo HD, then you may be out of luck. I've read that TiVo isn't supporting the original S3 with updates anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayle View Post
    marcolisi: If you are talking about an actual TiVo S3 and not a TiVo HD, then you may be out of luck. I've read that TiVo isn't supporting the original S3 with updates anymore.
    Hi Kayle, i have no clue anymore which tivos i have.
    What i know is that i was active in this thread

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...770#post317770

and my guess is that i have 2 tivos that match the one of sanjonny and irgorer.
    Both my tivos, just few days ago, downloaded the update and now the recorded shows are copy protected and tytool and tivowebplus do not work anymore.
    Hence , my guess is that my two tivos has been updated to 11.0n and i have to follow this thread to be able to patch my tivos again.

I completely forgot the little that i have learned on this site regarding patching my tivo.

The worse of the luck is that just a few days ago i dismantelled the pc that had linux on it and that i used to patch the two tivos years ago.
    Last edited by marcolisi; 09-23-2016 at 01:03 AM.

A TiVo HD has the TiVo logo on the front left with the letters HD next to it. A TiVo Series 3 just has a TiVo logo. But if its updated then you probably have a TiVo HD (unless my impression about the S3 not getting updated is wrong).

To see what version your TiVo is running, go to Messages & Settings -> Account & System Information -> System Information, and a few lines down from the top will say Software Version.

You should be aware there is actually at least 3 versions of 11.0n out there, 11.0n.B1 was the update to support MPEG-4, which is where TiVo (supposedly) stopped supporting TiVo S3s, that was back in January, I think. The recently released 11.0n.H1 is the update to support Rovi guide and program information. There's also a 11.0n.J1 which I haven't seen yet.

I successfully patched one of my TiVo HDs using CentOS 5 ( http://www.centos.org/ ) running in a Microsoft Windows 10 Hyper-V virtual machine. I think you can probably do it with the LiveCD, either in a VM or simply just boot a PC with it. I used physical disk passthrough to do it, which I probably should detail because it is pretty easy to make an error which may render the TiVo drive's data unusable.

The original S3, and even S2 units, are being supported with software upgrades to support the downgrade of guide data to tivo produced guide data.

The original S3 units won't be supporting mp4 channels. That's what youre referring to

Quote Originally Posted by Kayle View Post
    A TiVo HD has the TiVo logo on the front left with the letters HD next to it. A TiVo Series 3 just has a TiVo logo. But if its updated then you probably have a TiVo HD (unless my impression about the S3 not getting updated is wrong).

To see what version your TiVo is running, go to Messages & Settings -> Account & System Information -> System Information, and a few lines down from the top will say Software Version.

You should be aware there is actually at least 3 versions of 11.0n out there, 11.0n.B1 was the update to support MPEG-4, which is where TiVo (supposedly) stopped supporting TiVo S3s, that was back in January, I think. The recently released 11.0n.H1 is the update to support Rovi guide and program information. There's also a 11.0n.J1 which I haven't seen yet.

I successfully patched one of my TiVo HDs using CentOS 5 ( http://www.centos.org/ ) running in a Microsoft Windows 10 Hyper-V virtual machine. I think you can probably do it with the LiveCD, either in a VM or simply just boot a PC with it. I used physical disk passthrough to do it, which I probably should detail because it is pretty easy to make an error which may render the TiVo drive's data unusable.
    This is what i have

https://postimg.org/image/48fg4v6vv/

https://postimg.org/image/wjcpchhjn/

and i would like to keep using lrhorer's script.

Would that work?

Also, the 1st question is , what Linux version should I use ?
    Last edited by marcolisi; 09-23-2016 at 07:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by newbie View Post
    The original S3, and even S2 units, are being supported with software upgrades to support the downgrade of guide data to tivo produced guide data.

The original S3 units won't be supporting mp4 channels. That's what youre referring to
    I still do not understand what tivo version i have.
    If i have s3 (non hd), will i lose some channels?

The original S3 (not hd) will not support any h.264 mpeg4 channel. On FiOS that's only a handful of stations, almost all of which are on the highest tier of service. On Comcast that would be most of your HD channels. I don't know what cable system you use.

I suggest either contacting lrhorer for help with his script or download the mfslive iso, burn it to a CD (burn from image file option) then manually do the 3 or 4 steps needed to transfer your hacks.

Tivo is continuing to support the original S3 in that software upgrades were issued so you can use the Tivo guide data. Tivo isn't offering new features, including the ability to view mp4 channels, to original S3 units.
    Last edited by newbie; 09-23-2016 at 12:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by newbie View Post
    The original S3 (not hd) will not support any h.264 mpeg4 channel. On FiOS that's only a handful of stations, almost all of which are on the highest tier of service. On Comcast that would be most of your HD channels. I don't know what cable system you use.

I suggest either contacting lrhorer for help with his script or download the mfslive iso, burn it to a CD (burn from image file option) then manually do the 3 or 4 steps needed to transfer your hacks.

Tivo is continuing to support the original S3 in that software upgrades were issued so you can use the Tivo guide data. Tivo isn't offering new features, including the ability to view mp4 channels, to original S3 units.
    Do i have s3 tivo or s3hd tivo?

I have TWC and my tivos are connected each to a box that allow to watch hd channels. Doesn't that box solve the problem?

How good are you guys at getting to the MFS volumes when logged in via telnet? I'd like to get to "/mfs//SwSystem/" to copy the software update pkg from one TiVo to another.

marcolisi, both of those are TiVoHD models based on the 652 prefix in the service number.
    Steve