Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 11.0n.H1-01-2-652 for Tivo HD

Quote Originally Posted by lgkahn View Post
    just did my first box. no bootloop. on reboot said preparing service update..

anyway if your old partition was on 4 the new one goes on 7 and the new kernel would be on 6 not 3
    Good catch!

Quote Originally Posted by marcolisi View Post
    Hi! So I was able to do some steps farthere alone, but now I am stuck here

Code:
    root@debian:~# tivopart r /dev/sdd
    root@debian:~# bootpage -p /dev/sdd
    root=/dev/hda4
    root@debian:~# mount ^C
    root@debian:~# mount /dev/hda4 /mnt
    mount: special device /dev/hda4 does not exist
    you might want to try

Code:
    mount /dev/sdd4 /mnt

Quote Originally Posted by Kayle View Post
    marcolisi:

tivopart with the rescan commanmd will allow Linux to see the partitions

Code:
    tivopart r /dev/sdb
    Then you should be able to use bootpage to find the current active partition

Code:
    bootpage -p /dev/sdb
    it should respond with root=/dev/sdb4 ... or root=/dev/sdb7 ...
    You can then use mount to get access to the file system, e.g.

Code:
    mount /dev/sdb4 /mnt
    this is so painful :-(
    why they changed the way we access to the tivo hard disk ? I miss the old way with nothing to mont

It seems it mounted the drive

/media/marco/4e5cecdc-1e9b-11b2-8ba7-b5a3585bf565$

with this huge name....

and than there are permissions on the mounted drive that I can not seem to remove...

Code:
    There was an error copying the file into /media/marco/4e5cecdc-1e9b-11b2-8ba7-b5a3585bf565/hack.

Error opening file '/media/marco/4e5cecdc-1e9b-11b2-8ba7-b5a3585bf565/hack/bootpage': Permission denied

marco@debian:/$ sudo chmod 777 /media/marco/4e5cecdc-1e9b-11b2-8ba7-b5a3585bf565[sudo] password for marco: 
    marco@debian:/$

I keep getting the same erorr message :-(

Quote Originally Posted by sanjonny View Post
    If you have a HD. I am about to make your day. Found a super easy way to do this. Was able to find my old files and all the setup I had done in the past with lrhorer's script so i have a tool if you want a total no brainer install. I will attach the files, but basically take this zip file, copy it to your root extract it and run tivo_hack and your done.

There is some extra crud in here, i will post a better version later, but this is brainless. Want to know an even better thing I found, I was able to do it using the Ultimate Boot Cd (my version from 2013) so I had other tools if i needed them. Just copied this file to the ram drive, unzipped and ran it and done. Will post detailed steps later, but that was a nice hack to not have to install anything on my computer.

This is for 11.n.h1.... for windows type machine anyway.

Attach tivo drive to your computer. I recommend you make a winmfs backup just in case. Put in ultimate boot cd or usb. I am assuming you know a little linux.

http://www.theryanrealty.com/tivostuff/hacknew.zip

You can either download the zip to a usb drive, or access it from inside partition magic. I had copied it to a usb drive, but tried both ways.
    This includes all hacks from the first post in this thread, except the nomek. I stupidly did not include the nothanks hack last time, and thus HAD to pull my drive to user lrhorer's script, so just in case in the future, I am adding that one.

Once it boots to the UCSB interface, select/boot to the Partition Magic interface. Its a mini linux install that will work. (provide more details later)

you can transfer the zip now using file manager, or download it using firefox or whatever browser comes with the UBCD. Open a terminal window (there is an option somewhere to open a root terminal window)
    copy or move the hacknew.zip file to the root directory, which will be a ram disk. the easiest way to get there using terminal is to type cd \ or cd .. till you get to the top root level.

Unzip the hacknew.zip file
    Code:
    unzip -r hacknew.zip
    if you look using ls, you should now have a hack directory in the root. Switch to it.
    Code:
    cd hack
    now you can again ls to see if everything came out okay. Ready? Luckily lrhorer's script is so awesome it will check everything for you...
    now you are going to run tivo_hack and the magic will happen.
    Code:
    sudo tivo_hack
    If for some reason you need the password, on my UBCD the root password was partedmagic

hopefully everything went okay. If it did, great....one more thing. copy the RemoveCpiAll.tcl to your newly hacked tivo drive. i recommend putting it in var/hack. You will need to run it once you are all booted up and running to remove any protection that recorded with copy protection so you can download the files. You can use file manager to do this or thru linux commands. Also, this zip file will automatically set you up with TWP running on port 8080 and starting at boot (I think). Once you have copied over the one removecpi script, close down the computer and boot the tivo. Yeah!

Now that you booted up and its all wonderful, check that TWP works if you like that. It should be accessible thru your browser at the tivo ip address with port 8080 at the end. For example if the tivo is at 192.168.0.15, then 192.168.0.15:8080 will bring up TivoWebPlus. If not and it is running on port 80. You can load it and change it thru the interface in the hacks directory.
    Now to remove the pesky copy protection from the files that recorded after the update...
    use putty or similar to access your tivo. Navigate to the hack directory...probably cd /var/hack and now run the script to remove copy protection
    First run the script will tell you what files it is going to work on.
    Code:
    RemoveCpiAll.tcl
    should give you a list of files that are copy protected, if it looks right the next step will remove them.
    Code:
    RemoveCpiAll.tcl ready
    After a bit, it should be done and you are all finished.

A couple things with my setup. if you go to the var directory, you will notice a hack8080.tar. Every once in awhile my TWP gets nuked and I just copy this file back onto the var directory and extract it. I put it there in the install process so I can find it and move it somewhere else. you can just delete it or leave it there. If you ever accidentally screw up TWP, you can just extract it and have a nice clean copy of it. There might be some other files in the directory from my machine that you do not want. You can delete those also. I am just offering this because it made it super easy to update this time.

I will clean this thread up a bit once I play around a bit more. Maybe we will never have to use this again, maybe not. Super kudos to lrhorer for his awesome script and all his and everyone elses help. I tried to post my zip file here, but I guess it was too big so I had to use my server address.

I will play with the zip a bit and see if I can make it smaller, there might be redundant stuff in there, but if you want to get up and hacked quick, this is the easy way to do it.
    Hi there, I have tried to run your way to patch the tivo.

When I write

unzip -r hacknew.zip

I get this message:

Code:
    UnZip 6.00 of 20 April 2009, by Debian. Original by Info-ZIP.

Usage: unzip [-Z] [-opts[modifiers]] file[.zip] [list] [-x xlist] [-d exdir]
      Default action is to extract files in list, except those in xlist, to exdir;
      file[.zip] may be a wildcard.  -Z => ZipInfo mode ("unzip -Z" for usage).

-p  extract files to pipe, no messages     -l  list files (short format)
      -f  freshen existing files, create none    -t  test compressed archive data
      -u  update files, create if necessary      -z  display archive comment only
      -v  list verbosely/show version info       -T  timestamp archive to latest
      -x  exclude files that follow (in xlist)   -d  extract files into exdir
    modifiers:
      -n  never overwrite existing files         -q  quiet mode (-qq => quieter)
      -o  overwrite files WITHOUT prompting      -a  auto-convert any text files
      -j  junk paths (do not make directories)   -aa treat ALL files as text
      -U  use escapes for all non-ASCII Unicode  -UU ignore any Unicode fields
      -C  match filenames case-insensitively     -L  make (some) names lowercase
      -X  restore UID/GID info                   -V  retain VMS version numbers
      -K  keep setuid/setgid/tacky permissions   -M  pipe through "more" pager
    See "unzip -hh" or unzip.txt for more help.  Examples:
      unzip data1 -x joe   => extract all files except joe from zipfile data1.zip
      unzip -p foo | more  => send contents of foo.zip via pipe into program more
      unzip -fo foo ReadMe => quietly replace existing ReadMe if archive file newer
    marco@debian:/media/marco/4e5cecdc-1e9b-11b2-8ba7-b5a3585bf565$ unzip hacknew.zip
    If I run

unzip hacknew.zip

this is the message I get :

Code:
    Archive:  hacknew.zip
      inflating: hack/bootpage           
      inflating: hack/hacks.fil          
      inflating: hack/hacks.fil-old      
      inflating: hack/hacks.fil11.0.n.h1  
      inflating: hack/hacks.filk         
      inflating: hack/hacks11m.fil       
      inflating: hack/hack_tivo          
      inflating: hack/hack_tivo.old      
      inflating: hack/hack_tivoapp       
      inflating: hack/howtodoit.txt      
     extracting: hack/null-linuxrc.img.gz  
       creating: hack/other/
      inflating: hack/other/bootpage.c   
      inflating: hack/other/bootpage.h   
      inflating: hack/other/bootpage.o   
     extracting: hack/other/bootpage.tgz  
      inflating: hack/other/Makefile     
      inflating: hack/other/tivohacks32.tar  
      inflating: hack/RemoveCpiAll.tcl   
      inflating: hack/replace_initrd.x86  
      inflating: hack/replace_initrd.x86.tar.gz  
       creating: hack/Saved_Apps/
      inflating: hack/Saved_Apps/tivoapp.sav.  
      inflating: hack/Saved_Apps/tivoapp.sav..safety  
    hack/Saved_Apps/tivoapp.sav..safety:  write error (disk full?).  Continue? (y/n/^C) ^Cmarco@debian:/media/marco/4e5cecdc-1e9b-11b2-8ba7-b5a3585bf565$ ^C
    marco@debian:/media/marco/4e5cecdc-1e9b-11b2-8ba7-b5a3585bf565$
    How come I have no space?

Help me please

Also, when running

Code:
    sudo tivo_hack
    This is the message I get

Code:
    marco@debian:/media/marco/4cf7cbfa-1e9b-11b2-9ee9-45291e81a056/hack$ sudo tivo_hack
    [sudo] password for marco: 
    sudo: tivo_hack: command not found
    Same happens if I run

Code:
    sudo hack_tivo
    Code:
    marco@debian:/media/marco/4cf7cbfa-1e9b-11b2-9ee9-45291e81a056/hack$ hack_tivo
    bash: hack_tivo: command not found

This is how my folder look like

Code:
    marco@debian:/media/marco/4cf7cbfa-1e9b-11b2-9ee9-45291e81a056/hack$ ls -l
    total 11142
    -rwxrwxrwx  1 marco marco  593260 Nov 29  2011 bootpage
    drwxr-xr-x  2 root  root     1024 Jul 10 19:16 etc
    -rw-rw-r--  1 marco marco     443 Sep  2  2013 hacks11m.fil
    -rw-r--r--  1 marco marco     495 Sep 17 10:49 hacks.fil
    -rw-r--r--  1 marco marco     495 Sep 17 10:49 hacks.fil11.0.n.h1
    -rwxr-xr-x  1 marco marco     443 Sep  2  2013 hacks.filk
    -rwxr-xr-x  1 marco marco     329 Nov 29  2011 hacks.fil-old
    -rwxr-xr-x  1 marco marco    5443 Sep 24 14:51 hack_tivo
    -rwxr-xr-x  1 marco marco    3677 Sep 24 14:52 hack_tivoapp
    -rwxr-xr-x  1 marco marco    3214 Sep  2  2013 hack_tivo.old
    -rw-rw-r--  1 marco marco     597 Sep  2  2013 howtodoit.txt
    -rwxr-xr-x  1 marco marco     432 Nov 15  2011 null-linuxrc.img.gz
    drwxr-xr-x  2 marco marco    1024 Dec  1  2011 other
    -rwxr-xr-x  1 marco marco    2324 Dec 15  2011 RemoveCpiAll.tcl
    -rwxrwxr-x  1 marco marco    6573 Feb  2  2007 replace_initrd.x86
    -rwxr-xr-x  1 marco marco   12128 Nov 15  2011 replace_initrd.x86.tar.gz
    drwxr-xr-x  2 marco marco    1024 Sep  2  2013 Saved_Apps
    drwxr-xr-x  2 marco marco    1024 Sep  2  2013 Saved_Kernels
    -r-xr-xr-x  1 marco marco 8294400 Nov 29  2011 tivohacks64.tar
    -r-xr-xr-x  1 marco marco  475996 Nov 15  2011 tivopart
    drwxrwxrwx  4 marco marco    1024 Nov 15  2011 tivopartdir
    drwxr-xr-x 16 root  root     1024 Jul 30 17:34 TivoWebPlus
    -rwxr-xr-x  1 root  root   532772 Jul 11 22:03 tivowebplus-v1.3.1-071214.tgz
    -rwxr-xr-x  1 root  root   701190 Jul 12 12:18 tivowebplus-v2.1.b3-090223.tgz
    -rwxr-xr-x  1 root  root   706543 Jul 11 21:45 tivowebplus-v2.1.b3-110622.tgz
    drwxr-xr-x  2 root  root     1024 Sep 24 14:40 zipfiles
    Last edited by marcolisi; 09-24-2016 at 03:01 PM.

you might want to try

Code:
    mount /dev/sdd4 /mnt
    How do I check which is the right volume to mount ?

Why using sdd4?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by marcolisi View Post
    How do I check which is the right volume to mount ?

Why using sdd4?

Thanks!
    bootpage gives you the drive/partition for when the drive is in the TiVo box, hence /dev/hda4.

/dev/hd is older-Linux style for (most) hard drives, 'a' means the first hard drive, and '4' is the fourth partition. But you're accessing it on a different computer, which uses /dev/sd for (most) hard drives, and you previously indicated it was hard drive 'd', and it is still the fourth partition, so /dev/sdd4

You should probably just use 'su' once to do most of the operations as superuser.

bootpage gives you the drive/partition for when the drive is in the TiVo box, hence /dev/hda4.

/dev/hd is older-Linux style for (most) hard drives, 'a' means the first hard drive, and '4' is the fourth partition. But you're accessing it on a different computer, which uses /dev/sd for (most) hard drives, and you previously indicated it was hard drive 'd', and it is still the fourth partition, so /dev/sdd4

You should probably just use 'su' once to do most of the operations as superuser.
    I am using sudo, is it the same?

Thanks!

After hours and hours of retrying, I am still getting the same error message:

Code:
    sudo: hack_tivo: command not found

and my hack folder looks like this

Code:
    marco@debian:/media/marco/4cf7cbfa-1e9b-11b2-9ee9-45291e81a056/hack$ ls -l
    total 7036
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root    1024 Sep 24 17:08 bin
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  431640 Oct  5  2004 bootpage
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  657830 Sep 24 16:05 Gen06-netopt-ext3.tar.bz2
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root     347 Sep 24 17:16 hacks.fil
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root    5443 Sep 24 17:13 hack_tivo
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root    3677 Sep 24 17:14 hack_tivoapp
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root     432 Sep 24 16:05 null-linuxrc.img.gz
    -rwxrwxr-x 1  500  501    6573 Feb  2  2007 replace_initrd.x86
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2765081 Sep 24 17:24 tivohacks32.tar.gz
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2815068 Sep 24 17:24 tivohacks64.tar.gz
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  475996 May 30  2004 tivopart
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root    1024 Sep 24 17:09 zipfiles
    Anyone that could please help me? I have no clue why I am having such problem

Probably that directory isn't in your path.

The easiest (and least safe) way to fix that would be something like

PATH=$PATH:.
    export PATH

sudo is a tool to run commands as superuser without having to be superuser. There are some situations it won't do what you expect. It is probably good enough here, but I actually read your previous post and noted you were using sudo and then gave you advice.
    Last edited by Kayle; 09-24-2016 at 05:57 PM.

export PATH

sudo is a tool to run commands as superuser without having to be superuser. There are some situations it won't do what you expect. It is probably good enough here, but I actually read your previous post and noted you were using sudo and then gave you advice.
    Thank you. I have no idea what these codes do. I run them but nothing..some problem :-(

Thank you so much for the su advice. For me all this is way to advance to understand. I am really not good at all in understanding linux and linux applied to tivo :-(

Thanks everyone this is helpful. I'm still trying to get it to work.

What is in this /tivo-bin directory?
    It has a bunch of Tivo utilities like tivoftp. I don't remember where I got them from - they've just been following me around since way back when. My path is modified in my rc file to include the /tivo-bin directory and the tivoftp is run from there.

Quote Originally Posted by lgkahn View Post
    anyway if your old partition was on 4 the new one goes on 7 and the new kernel would be on 6 not 3
    Am I copying the wrong kernel? Maybe I'm understanding it backwards. I ran
    d if=/dev/hda3 of=/dev/hda6
    because my old partition was on 4 and the new one is on 7, so the old kernel is on 3 and I copied it to 6... isn't the old one the hacked one? And isn't if the one to copy from (3) and of the one to copy to?

I'm pulling the drive now and trying again. As expected my upgrade did not work (cannot telnet to the Tivo and I don't have an RS-232).

mhchu:

Oops, I should have reread your post more carefully. Yes, you are correct about the partitions.

Maybe you should try patching the newly installed kernel instead of copying an old kernel? The tools to do so can be found on fletchergeek's site: http://fletchergeek.com/images/hacks/

Try doing a "bootpage -q" and make sure that the primary boot partition actually match up with the root partition.

mhchu:

Oops, I should have reread your post more carefully. Yes, you are correct about the partitions.

Maybe you should try patching the newly installed kernel instead of copying an old kernel? The tools to do so can be found on fletchergeek's site: http://fletchergeek.com/images/hacks/

Try doing a "bootpage -q" and make sure that the primary boot partition actually match up with the root partition.
    That's exactly what I was thinking... I found a copy of the replace_initrd.mips and null-linuxrc.img.gz on my computer, so I ftped them over to the Tivo (after restoring the disk back to my hacked 11.0m). I then did the SwInstall and after that ran:
    ./replace_initrd.mips /dev/hda6 null-linuxrc.img.gz
    I then made a dd of /dev/hda6 to a file and did a binary diff against the previous version of /dev/hda6 which I previously backed up with dd and ftped to another machine with a diff utility. I confirmed that the kernal on /dev/hda6 did change (just a little bit). (Comparing hda6 before the SwInstall and against hda6 after the SwInstall resulted in identical files. Also, hda6 is VERY different from hda3... which was no help to me in debugging)

Rebooted and back to rebooting automatically again.

I'll make a linux boot disk so I can try the x86 version of replace_initrd which you linked to. I was hoping to be able to do the whole upgrade on the tivo box itself.

mhchu:

That's exactly what I was thinking... I found a copy of the replace_initrd.mips and null-linuxrc.img.gz on my computer, so I ftped them over to the Tivo (after restoring the disk back to my hacked 11.0m). I then did the SwInstall and after that ran:
    ./replace_initrd.mips /dev/hda6 null-linuxrc.img.gz
    I then made a dd of /dev/hda6 to a file and did a binary diff against the previous version of /dev/hda6 which I previously backed up with dd and ftped to another machine with a diff utility. I confirmed that the kernal on /dev/hda6 did change (just a little bit). (Comparing hda6 before the SwInstall and against hda6 after the SwInstall resulted in identical files. Also, hda6 is VERY different from hda3... which was no help to me in debugging)

Rebooted and back to rebooting automatically again.

I'll make a linux boot disk so I can try the x86 version of replace_initrd which you linked to. I was hoping to be able to do the whole upgrade on the tivo box itself.

export PATH

I think that my problem is with not knowing how to mount the tivo hard disk in linux. Can you please help me , like you would talk to a baby that is starting to walk for the 1st time?

http://s10.postimg.org/a7vumct4p/20160924_182054.jpg
    Last edited by marcolisi; 09-24-2016 at 08:27 PM.