Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: 11.0n.H1-01-2-652 for Tivo HD

Quote Originally Posted by marcolisi View Post
    I think that my problem is with not knowing how to mount the tivo hard disk in linux. Can you please help me , like you would talk to a baby that is starting to walk for the 1st time?

http://s10.postimg.org/a7vumct4p/20160924_182054.jpg
    From what I saw in your earlier post it might be that you just need to add a ./ before you hack_tivo command:
    ./hack_tivo
    That will run the program if you are in that directory. Without the ./ it will not try to run the file in the current directory unless you had that directory in the path.

Got both of my Tivos updated and patched. Only issue I've got is my 30 second skip doesn't work properly. It jumps to the end of the recording. I must have done something wrong as it is happening on both of my Tivos.

Looks like Debian is automatically mounting partitions that shows up, which is why you're getting those long mount point names. That's kind of desirable for most ordinary users and purposes but somewhat inconvenient for TiVo hacking.
    Last edited by Kayle; 09-24-2016 at 11:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thomb View Post
    Got both of my Tivos updated and patched. Only issue I've got is my 30 second skip doesn't work properly. It jumps to the end of the recording. I must have done something wrong as it is happening on both of my Tivos.
    The 30 second skip patch is pretty much unnecessary. You can set it with your remote

http://tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/sho...d.php?t=122090
    Select-Play-Select-3-0-Select

Thanks again Kayle. I thought the 30secskip was unnecessary, but I looked at my 11.0m .tcl file and I saw I had left in, so I figured I may as well keep it for n too. I must have forgotten that I used the select play select code when m came out. Amazing how many brain cells I've killed.
    Everything is back to normal, thanks to everyone in the community for their contributions, especially Kayle, psxboy, and all the others willing to help.
    Long Live TivoHD.

I successfully updated my TivoHD today too. I basically followed this procedure:

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...280#post318280

Is there anyone that could please help me?

Even if using other scripts.

Anyone , please ?

I think I need a kick start. I have my thumb drive with all the files from 11.0n upgrade and reviewed the procedures.

But, I started by checking versions, and the login is weird. I am using Win10 btw.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>ftp
    ftp> open 10.0.1.217
    Connected to 10.0.1.217.
    220 You are in TiVo Mode. No login necessary - hit enter at the prompts
    500 Syntax error, command unrecognized.
    User (10.0.1.217 : (none)):
    230 No Auth required for TiVo Mode.
    ftp> echo /mls /SwSystem |tivosh
    Invalid command.
    ftp> pwd
    500 Syntax error, command unrecognized.
    ftp>
    I remember this working. That I can't even get pwd to reply means I'm doing something off.

pscud:

I checked and my tivoftpd doesn't support "pwd" either. You might be confused about ftp though. ftp is for transferring files, its not a general shell. You need a telnet program, I suggest PuTTY: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/

marcolisi:

I've started to put together a detailed post, it might take me a while to finishing it. But really, all the information you need is already available. It sounds like you need some basic background on Unix and Linux. There are free online tutorials and books on the subject. There are some TiVo specific oddities which I intend to cover. Ok, here's the first paragraph:

Background:

Hard drives are split up into pieces often called partitions. Much of the time, a hard drive only has one visible partition, though there often is an invisible or implied partition which holds information about the hard drive and its partitions and extra unused space for various other reasons. Often the first block on the drive holds information about the drive and possibly a table of the partitions on the drive. A complication is that there isn't only one standard for this information and how the partition data is stored on the drive. For some reason, TiVo decided to use Apple's old (pre-Intel-based Macintosh, first released in the mid-1980s) partition table format which is different than what PCs have used since the early 80s (called MBR) or the newer GPT.

Is the above too basic?

Dum-dee-dum-dumb! I transferred my files via ftp and then kept going without changing gears (apps). Sigh.
    Thanks, Kayle.

Got my Tivo working after a couple more attempts. (I have a few messages under moderation since my last post, so if this one gets posted before those, then no additional help is needed for me on 11.0n.H1.) I believe my error was that my previous hack used a custom kernel (I believe it was Jaime's custom kernel) which required the use of special software (ethernet drivers and iptables needed replacement). I believe my error was twofold - first, when I copied my hacked kernel over to the upgraded partition, it wasn't going to work because I also needed special drivers to match the custom kernel. The other problem was when I tried running replace_initrd on the new kernel (without copying the old one), the boot sequence failed because I had followed my notes from last time blindly and copied over the /sbin/iptables from the old partition (which was probably a special one that worked only with my custom kernel). This last attempt, I only installed 11.0n and copied the bare minimum of files over to ensure ftp and telnet were working and then reboot. It then proceeded to the "Preparing an update..." which took about 4 hours and then a couple more for the guide update. After it booted up, I confirmed I had telnet access and the version was 11.0n.H1, so I was pretty sure it was going to work. Once I updated my tvapppatches.tcl with the new patch codes, installed, and rebooted, everything was working (had to use the remote control code for the 30 sec skip of course).

For anyone following along, I then pulled the drive and did another backup with WinMFS for safe keeping in case the drive dies. The full backup has saved me in the past and I highly recommend it.

I've noticed that since upgrading from 11.0m to 11.0n, my Tivo negotiates with the TimeWarner Cable supplied Tuning Adapter within minutes. I don't know if that's a software fix (both my Tivo's usually take forever to connect to the Tuning Adapter and then retrieve channels - like 15-20 minutes; now it's pretty much immediate) or TimeWarner fixed something or if I jsut got luck these last few reboots and the TA is just playing ball.

Anyway, while this stuff is fresh on my mind, I'll try to check this forum for a while and see if I can answer any questions from others who were in the same situation I was in for the last couple days.

It took 3 hours but mine booted to H1. I didn't goof requiring a drive pull thanks to you. And I will remember to let the coffee kick in before doing H to J.

Will it upgrade to J1 in a night or two? I really took good notes this time so I am ready.

I (in far west suburbs of Washington DC in Virginia) have yet to see J1.

Reminder to everyone who has upgraded to H that you should make sure that your upgradesoftware=false since J is likely coming soon. It takes 20 seconds to check, but hours to fix if you inadvertently changed the setting. Do yourself a favor.

Quote Originally Posted by thomb View Post
    Reminder to everyone who has upgraded to H that you should make sure that your upgradesoftware=false since J is likely coming soon. It takes 20 seconds to check, but hours to fix if you inadvertently changed the setting. Do yourself a favor.
    So we know we don't need J? Why not let J happen and then patch it, just in case? And L and N and P if they happen? Or wait for the dust to settle and re-hack then?