Thread: Problem getting 11.0n download

Question Problem getting 11.0n download

I have 4 HDXL and one early HD series-3, of the 5 units only 2 have actually downloaded the 11.0n update. (FYI, both are monthly subs) the other thee are lifetime that have not taken the the download. All 3 are on 11.0m and when I check the MFS there is no update to force. I have repeatedly connected to Tivo service with success and still no joy, There was no upgradesoftware=false statement in the bootpage (I believe that would not stop the download anyway). I do remember hacking something in that stopped the reboots after an update download but can't remember exactly what I did. I made the mistake of calling TIVO and just got BS, do guided setup again, reset and delete everything, etc, no help!

I have done the usual hacks, prom, kernel, tivoweb, etc. Now b4 you say it's my hacks 2 of the box's with the exact same load did work (in fact I cloned the drives to all of the HDXL tivos).

Yes, I tried searching many different ways and could not come up with a good answer, could someone shed some light on this?

Thankx all!
    J

Quote Originally Posted by jmayes View Post
    I do remember hacking something in that stopped the reboots after an update download but can't remember exactly what I did.
    That would be the "nothanks" hack. It prevents the nightly reboot after a software update has been downloaded. The bootpage option "upgradesoftware=false" prevents a pending software update from being installed when the box is rebooted. Neither of these items will prevent a the software update from being downloaded. I can't explain why your units are not getting the download. My Tivo HD with lifetime downloaded the update about 2 weeks ago.

Thank you for the help chumley, I did not think either of those hacks prevented the download, I have been continuously connecting to tivo service but still not receiving the DL, any else have some idea's, I am fresh out. TX

I had this same issue. Two of my TiVo HD's received the upgrade, but the other did not. I called TiVo support, and they needed to add my other box to a group that would allow me to get the upgrade.

Apparently they phase groups of TiVo's in on different dates, so too many downloads won't crash their stuff.

So... First, call TiVo Support, ask for a supervisor, because the 1st person to answer will NOT understand the issue.

But... The update still didn't arrive, and they then tried to force the update to download to this TiVo. (I wasn't aware they could do this). This didn't solve it either.

As a last resort, they had me manually initiate a connection twice, reboot, then manually initiate another connection. Apparently this is supposed to cause a VCM connection. (My understanding of VCM is that it helps with on-line scheduling, which none of my Series 3 units can do anymore)
    Then... As the final...final resort, they had me repeat guided setup.

None of this worked, so I had to clone the drive from one of my TiVos that did receive the upgrade. UGH! I wish TiVo would have started this process sooner, and gave my units more time to get the upgrades before the guide data ran out.

My Premieres and my TiVoHD all successfully received their downloads and upgraded. One of my S3 TiVos got the upgrade and had an assertion failure during the upgrade. One has not gotten the upgrade.
    Having trouble with TyTool? Try TyTool Documentation
    Need to hack an S3 / THD? Try S3 Hacking Script

So I guess I am not the only one in this boat, they just are not sending the update to some box's- BAH!

Question: I'm on 11.0m and I'm not updating either. I hacked years ago and I'm SUCH a neophyte that I'm a little lost. Is the lack of 11.0n on my TiVo something I can install? Is there a hack-command to fix that? What do I need to do? Thanks!

Probably your best bet is to do a manual upgrade, this avoids having to pull your drive.

First, verify that you have 11.0n.something waiting to be installed on your TiVo box

telnet to your TiVo box. I suggest PuTTY ( http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/ ) if you don't have a telnet client you already prefer. If you don't have telnet enabled, then you'll have to do normal upgrade and pull the drive and hack it afterwards. Heck, you may have to pull the drive and turn off the upgradesoftware=false boot flag you almost certainly have set, before doing the normal upgrade.

Check to see what TiVo software is available

Code:
    bash-2.02# echo mls /SwSystem | tivosh
    Directory of /SwSystem starting at ''

Name                      Type        FsId      Date  Time   Size
        ----                      ----        ----      ----  ----   ----
        11.0n.H1-01-2-652         tyDb     9047481  09/16/16 16:45    916
        ACTIVE                    tyDb     9047481  09/16/16 16:45    916

bash-2.02#
    That's what I've got now, you'll have an 11.0m.something which is currently active and hopefully also an 11.0n.something waiting to be installed. If you don't have one waiting, try doing a manual connection to the TiVo servers then check again. You may have to force a reboot and retrying connections twice more. If that doesn't work, you'll probably need to call up TiVo's tech support.

If you have it, then follow manual install procedures, there's a bunch of guides around, here's the one I used as a guide: http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...grade-to-7-2-2

Basics:
    Change installSw.itcl so that it does not cause a reboot after it finishes.
    Run installSw.itcl so that 11.0n.xxx gets installed in the currently inactive set.
    Hack newly installed kernel OR copy old kernel over newly installed kernel.
    Hack tivoapp with the changes you want
    Install whatever other software you want (including dropping in a /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.author to start up whatever you installed, start up telnet daemon and modify/shut off firewall if you want)
    Reboot

Note that after the reboot, it may take many hours before the TiVo is ready to go (6 hours for me, then another 3 hours to download guide data). Also, I had to go through the hack procedure twice, the first time to get 11.0n.B1, then a second time to get 11.0n.H1 (I started from 11.0k). I believe people with 11.0m have been able to go straight to 11.0n.H1 though.

Read whichever guide before trying it. If you don't understand something, let us know before you do it so we clarify things (don't try to treat it as a black box), making an error may render your TiVo useless until you restore from backup... you do have a backup, right? (doesn't have to be a fresh one if you don't mind losing your existing recordings).
    Last edited by Kayle; 10-02-2016 at 12:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by milder View Post
    Question: I'm on 11.0m and I'm not updating either. I hacked years ago and I'm SUCH a neophyte that I'm a little lost. Is the lack of 11.0n on my TiVo something I can install? Is there a hack-command to fix that? What do I need to do? Thanks!
    Here's another example procedure for updating a hacked Tivo without pulling the drive.
    http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...280#post318280

I would love to do an manual update but the update is NOT ON MY DRIVE. It is not downloading.

I can speak to that. You'll have to call TiVo customer service. They claim that certain machines are in a "software group" that's not allowing them to download and update the newest software. If you call, they'll send it along to a department whose whole job is to fix that. Sounds dumb, but it worked for me.

Well it only took 10 days without guide data but finally my other two box's got their update, yeah tivo, they really did us old timers well on this one. I still have one family member without his tivo and I may have to clone it to mine if it does not update soon.

Thankx all for the help,
    J