Thread: Longshot but.....tyftp or mfsftp

Longshot but.....tyftp or mfsftp

I know these forums are mostly dead now, but I still have a TiVo HD running mainly for a few shows for my kids. I was running 11k or j and that machine died. I managed to get it back up and running and now on 11N. Everything seems to work except my extraction method. tyftpd appears to launch but attempting a connection generates the following.

bash-2.02#
    bash-2.02# tyftpd.tcl -p 212
    bash-2.02#
    bash-2.02# couldn't execute "/hacks/mfs_ftp_helper": no such file or directory
    while executing
    "open "|$GlobalData(mfs_ftp_helper) -F $ClientData(cmd) -A $ClientData(dir) $fla
    gs 2>@$ClientData(sckDC)" r"
    (procedure "LIST" line 21)
    invoked from within
    "LIST $client"
    ("LIST" arm line 1)
    invoked from within
    "switch $ClientData(cmd) {
    USER {reply $client "331 Please specify the password."}
    PASS {reply $client "230 Login successful."}
    NOOP {reply..."
    (procedure "ProcessCommands" line 33)
    invoked from within
    "ProcessCommands sock30"

Any thoughts on why, will tyftpd work with this new version? does anyone have another copy maybe mine is corrupted? Extracting a few shows the kids can watch in the car is the only reason I keep this box going. Kinda sad seeing how it has died around here. this site used to be awesome.

If you have a mac, have you tried using ctivo?

works great, the only caveat being that channels which are mpeg4, have to be transferred to a premiere or newer box first.

bb

The error message indicates that a required file is missing:

/hacks/mfs_ftp_helper

Did you put the files back in the same place they were before you rebuilt the Tivo? (Ie. did you create a "hacks" folder on the root of the drive and put your stuff in there?)

-psxboy
    TCD652160 TivoHD
    1TB
    11.0n.J1-01-2-652

I did place them in the hacks directory. I also ran dos2unix on all the files and chmod to ensure they were executable. I am afraid either my mfs_ftp_helper is corrupted or it no longer works correctly with the new version of the tivo software. I can't find a copy anywhere else to see if it is corrupted.

I have a roamio. I didn't think you could hack or extract from the premiere onward?

Quote Originally Posted by doc_b View Post
    I have a roamio. I didn't think you could hack or extract from the premiere onward?
    Kmttg or alternatives extract just fine from the Roamio, including mpeg4 channels, except for cci-crippled shows.

Once the HD is hacked successfully, including the cci bytes patch to tivoapp, you can transfer cci-crippled mpeg4-channel shows from the HD to the Roamio via normal tivo-to-tivo means and then extract from there via kmttg or whatever. You can't get mpeg4-channel shows directly off the HD, whether cci-crippled or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Dylan View Post
    Kmttg or alternatives extract just fine from the Roamio, including mpeg4 channels, except for cci-crippled shows.

Once the HD is hacked successfully, including the cci bytes patch to tivoapp, you can transfer cci-crippled mpeg4-channel shows from the HD to the Roamio via normal tivo-to-tivo means and then extract from there via kmttg or whatever. You can't get mpeg4-channel shows directly off the HD, whether cci-crippled or not.
    Thanks man, This has solved the majority of my issues. Never knew about Kmttg. For some reason though I cannot transfer to the Roamio. I get error 86. Checked the MAK and it's the same from both machines. best I can tell the all the tivoapp patches took. Is there a good way to tell what the cci byte is set to? I looked at the system information and it shows the channel currently tuned has the cci byte at 0x00 which should be right.

Did you install the noencryption patch? If so, that's the problem; you need to leave encryption on in order to transfer between hacked and non-hacked units.
    Quote Originally Posted by doc_b View Post
    For some reason though I cannot transfer to the Roamio. I get error 86. Checked the MAK and it's the same from both machines. best I can tell the all the tivoapp patches took.
    More software at http://davidlauria.com/software.
    The lost alt-rock masterpiece from the '90s, Range of Motion's "Soft Buzz of Silence", is now available on iTunes!

So for mpeg4 recordings on my hacked Tivo HD with the standard no-encryption patch, I'll need to use the other no-encryption patch, then turn on TTG on my account, then transfer them to my Premiere, and extract via TTG from my Premiere?

Quote Originally Posted by emuman100 View Post
    So for mpeg4 recordings on my hacked Tivo HD with the standard no-encryption patch, I'll need to use the other no-encryption patch, then turn on TTG on my account, then transfer them to my Premiere, and extract via TTG from my Premiere?
    Why would you want to use the no encryption patch at all? Encryption hasn't been an issue for a very long time. Basically the hackers defined what a Tivo should do and the Tivo now does it all stock, except for turning cci off.

Period. Das it. Deal with encryption automatically via your extraction program, kmttg or whatever.

Then move the show via standard means to wherever you want, dealing with the mpeg4 issue, if needed, Tivo-to-Tivo. Again by standard means.
    Last edited by Roger Dylan; 11-30-2017 at 03:38 AM.

Why would you want to use the no encryption patch at all?
    The PS and TS files produced by the TiVo can add problems to the original recording. Disabling encryption and downloading the original TS capture stored on the TiVo shouldn't ever add problems.

When the TiVo converts the provider's TS to PS, it's common for minor damage in the TS (not impacting normal viewing on the TiVo) to be become jarring jumps/skips of a few seconds. How disruptive this may be will obviously vary, but it is a problem.

Other types of damage in the provider's TS such as timestamp jumps (probably from switching between transcoder outputs for different sources of the same channel) can cause PS conversion to fail so that it aborts the transfer/download. At least in some cases the download can be resumed from a position after the interruption, but ultimately there will be some loss of data between the end of the aborted transfer and the start of the resumed one.

Since we're in the Series 3 forum, it should be assumed that TS downloads aren't an option (even though they sort of are, but the TS transfer mode for S3 units is unfinished, shouldn't really be used, and no public build of tivodecode/tivolibre supports it). However, even if using MRV transfers to an S4 or later unit is done in order to use the TS transfer mode there, that TS transfer mode has some horrible bugs in it that cause the produced TS to not always be the same. The damaged TS can contain as much as a minute or so of unplayable data for each time the TiVo screws up during the transfer. As a result, often several transfers of the same recording are necessary before obtaining one without serious damage added by the TiVo.

Thanks.

I'm not seeing any of that "jarring jumps/skips of a few seconds" or "minute or so of unplayable data"; my kmttg automatically invokes VideoRedo's qsf so maybe that's fixing some of the problems you mention. I do get a stalled download maybe once every hundred or two attempts but this tv stuff is just so available these days I'm not much bothered. And as I think on it, most of those failures are on the s4s, native s4 shows not mrvs from the s3s, and they usually download fine when I switch to ts downloading for that particular show.

I've read about everything you mention but we (a local user group) are just not seeing it. Now that we've talked about it, we're probably gong to be looking at our shows with a much more critical eye, hauling out the old tools is going to be no fun at all, thank you very much!

Why would you want to use the no encryption patch at all? Encryption hasn't been an issue for a very long time. Basically the hackers defined what a Tivo should do and the Tivo now does it all stock, except for turning cci off.

Period. Das it. Deal with encryption automatically via your extraction program, kmttg or whatever.

Then move the show via standard means to wherever you want, dealing with the mpeg4 issue, if needed, Tivo-to-Tivo. Again by standard means.
    There was a new version of s3tots released two days ago with support for mpeg4 recordings. I have tested it and it works extremely well! I cannot thank bcc enough. This new version will breath new life into Series 3 hacking because mpeg4 recordings can be converted directly.

To counter your question, especially with the new version of s3tots, why wouldn't you use the no-encryption patch? As needtolog said, there are never any added issues due to reencryption and TTG extraction. There are a lot of extra added "layers" which can cause issues, and definitely is not my preferred method. Tivo hackers did define a lot of standard Tivo features, however, the implementation of those features from the hackers were always much better. In this case the hackers definitely have a better implementation.

And it is worth noting that, even though power usage may be only slightly higher, the CPU uses slightly less power if it does not have to encrypt recordings.

For mfs_ftp patched with ts extraction, the mip64 binary of s3tots will have to be built with the toolchain. I still transfer the ty though.
    Last edited by emuman100; 12-03-2017 at 02:58 AM.

Thanks.

I'm not seeing any of that "jarring jumps/skips of a few seconds" or "minute or so of unplayable data"; my kmttg automatically invokes VideoRedo's qsf so maybe that's fixing some of the problems you mention.
    I haven't used VRD in ages, but based on what I've read over on TCF it can very substantially reduce the damage to TS transfers when the damage was created by the TiVo. It can't restore missing data though, so there's always some loss in corrupt TS data (supposedly less than one second, at least in good cases), and there's nothing to salvage from PS transfers with gaps because the TiVo stripped out some data while creating the PS. I'm happy to auto-retry the TS transfer until I get a good one so I don't have to try to fix anything later.

I do get a stalled download maybe once every hundred or two attempts but this tv stuff is just so available these days I'm not much bothered. And as I think on it, most of those failures are on the s4s, native s4 shows not mrvs from the s3s, and they usually download fine when I switch to ts downloading for that particular show.
    That sounds about right. I've probably only run into 5-10 transfers over the years that stall/abort in the middle somewhere. TS mode doesn't try to make the data nice and friendly like PS mode does, so it's normal for the download to finish in that mode.

I've read about everything you mention but we (a local user group) are just not seeing it. Now that we've talked about it, we're probably gong to be looking at our shows with a much more critical eye, hauling out the old tools is going to be no fun at all, thank you very much!
    Oh, you're so very welcome. My PS transfer problems are mostly due to malfunctioning equipment used by Verizon that drops the feed (just sends null packets) for a moment here or there far more often than I'd like. Some channels are consistently much worse than others though. Anyway, if you don't have FiOS I'd like to think you'll have fewer problems.
    Last edited by needtolog; 12-03-2017 at 04:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by emuman100 View Post
    Tivo hackers did define a lot of standard Tivo features, however, the implementation of those features from the hackers were always much better. In this case the hackers definitely have a better implementation.
    This may certainly prove to true, moving forward anyway.

Users of older Tivos like the s3/HD are for the moment not infected with the Hydra virus but it's unclear how long this immunity (to some variation of Hydra) will last.

Mfs_ftp or tyftpd, that's the question I'm mulling over, looking ahead.