Thread: tivoapp patches for series 3 (not HD) 11.0n.h1?

tivoapp patches for series 3 (not HD) 11.0n.h1?

Does anyone have the patches to tivoapp for 11.0n.H1-01-2-648?

This is an original series 3, not a model HD.

I haven't looked at a series 3 in a long, long time. Other than the specific patches for tivoapp, is there anything I need to do differently in hacking an original series 3 (prom mod already done) vs. a model HD. I do my HDs manually, no script or anything. Pretty much the same process?

Does your tivoapp have a different MD5 than the one in this thread?

Quote Originally Posted by mike_s View Post
    Does your tivoapp have a different MD5 than the one in this thread?
    Yes. The s3 tivoapp is a very different file.

I could find the spots, have in the past, but I don't have an even partially-disassembled listing at this point and it would be pretty much brute force groping in the dark. I'll give it a shot in a couple of days if no one here has the goods.

Not quite clear which model you're talking about, then. I have what's officially called a "Series3 HD," the original one with the OLED display (TCD648250B). There really isn't a non-HD Series 3 (well, maybe, if you count the Australian models). TiVo just dropped the "Series3" from the name of later ones. The tivoapp MD5 matches that in the other tread, and the patches work as expected, even though they came from the later TCD652160 ivoHD. I thought the later HD XL (TCD658000) also used the same tivoapp.

But, since you say your tivoapp has a different MD5, you must have an oddball.
    Last edited by mike_s; 06-05-2017 at 06:35 PM.

The 648 models have different kernels & HPK slices (Gen5 vs Gen6 in the others) but the tivoapp and other core binaries are identical across models. Maybe you have a release candidate version? In any case, the H1 build is old. You should be using J1 or K1 and the patches will be the same as the ones for the HD.

-psxboy
    TCD652160 TivoHD
    1TB
    11.0n.J1-01-2-652

Quote Originally Posted by psxboy View Post
    The 648 models have different kernels & HPK slices (Gen5 vs Gen6 in the others) but the tivoapp and other core binaries are identical across models. Maybe you have a release candidate version? In any case, the H1 build is old. You should be using J1 or K1 and the patches will be the same as the ones for the HD.
    Thanks very much.

It may be that my original series 3 tivoapp has some custom hacked routines added (it is a much longer file) but I'm amazed that I could have screwed up some fundamental addresses and the thing still works at all! That was a long time ago and I can't remember what I might have done with this box.

I will wipe that original series 3 clean, put in a clean system and see what Tivo updates it to (though I had it live with my H1 and the apparently corrupted tivoapp for a couple of weeks with no update).

You really think Tivo would have gone from H to J or K on the original series 3, even though those updates wouldn't have accomplished anything, being mpeg4 channel updates for the HD only?

11.0n.H1-01-2-648 is the latest which TiVo sent to mine. Sometime last fall. I thought someone mentioned they may be only sending updates beyond that to units in particular cable markets.

Quote Originally Posted by mike_s View Post
    11.0n.H1-01-2-648 is the latest which TiVo sent to mine. Sometime last fall. I thought someone mentioned they may be only sending updates beyond that to units in particular cable markets.
    That conversation related only to the HD, not the series 3. There were some cable markets (which had implemented some or all channels in mpeg4) where J and then K were implemented for the HD to handle those channels, though the implementation later became more widespread, perhaps universal for the HD.

The original series 3 does not have the software capability of receiving mpeg4 channels because the encoders for doing so are different from the HD and different routines/drivers would have to be written as they had been already for the HD (for some foreign markets). That would seem to make the upgrade by Tivo to J or K useless for the s3. BTW the s3 plays back and records (on transfers) mpeg4 just fine, always has, just can't record the mp4 channels.

If, as the earlier post says, Tivo is indeed updating to J and K on the original s3, that would be interesting and even maybe exciting, perhaps even hinting that mpeg4 will eventually be fully implemented on the s3 as well. Most of us had thought that unlikely, virtually certain never to happen.