Thread: 90%....?

90%....?

Has anybody else ever noticed this? recently my tivo started pausing for a LONG time (around 15 minutes or so) at 90% during the 'acquiring information from the satellite' step. What gives? This is annoying!

All of the information isn't where it's expected to be in the stream since Dec27. If you live somewhere with no locals, it, from what I understand, takes even longer.

the weird thing though is that this didn't start happening until yesterday. I think it started right after I applied the fastbooting rc.sysinit, not sure....Any way possible that the fastbooting one could affect it any? BTW, I am in range to receive a bit of local channels.

Mine started immediately after applying fixdemo! But that was the first time in a while that I re-booted AND it was after the 27th!

So I guess it could be either of them causing it!

I have found a fix:

I believe that the slowdown is caused by any looping scripts that you may be starting up right before the rc.sysinit finnishes, which would include fixdemo.tcl, 900s.tcl, mvchannels.tcl, etc. I found the best thing to do is add:

sleep 275

before any scripts that you want to run. What this does is make the rc.sysinit wait 275 seconds (4 minutes 35 seconds) before launching these looping scripts. Your time may vary. You can find out exactly what to set it to by temporarily commenting out all additions to rc.sysinit, time how long it takes the receiver to boot up from a reset (minus the time it takes for bash to show up), and then add the sleep <#ofseconds> followed by whatever extra commands you have.

This makes it so that the initial startup and downloading of the satelite data goes faster because there is less overhead. This shaved off about 3 minutes of the reboot time I used to have, and shaved off about 12 minutes of the reboot time it took with the recent modifications I made. Only downside to this is that your locals or whatever might not show up right away after the reset.

alphawolf--I'm having the same experience, however I'm not running any of the loops you mention. In fact, the acquiring from sat was slow Saturday night which was before I added superzaps program to solve the log problem

Good call, alpha. That was going to be my answer as well. I had noticed the same behavior when my -sdelay=3 was in the rc.sysinit. I set it to -sdelay=4 a week or so ago and now there are no more problems.