Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TiVo Locals

Post TiVo Locals

Take the mvch (mvchannels 132 and 134 file from this thread - http://dealdatabase.com/forum/showt...=&threadid=5367
    Unzip it, but DO NOT open the files. IF you do, you need to run dos2unix on them.
    In the 134 folder ? open the channels.dat in Textpad and ONLY keep the cites that you want to keep. Make sure the file is save in the UNIX format.
    o To place cities in the 0-99 range change the last number in the series to a ?1? ie: ( MI51:51:989:0:0:1) this will place Miami 51 in the 1-99 range
    o To place cities in the 800-900 range just leave the two there
    On the Tivo Bash, type: cd / <enter> <--This means press the enter key
    On the Tivo Bash, type: cd /var/hack <enter>
    At the Tivo Bash, type: rz <enter>. That tells the tivo to expect a file.
    Then, on the HyperTerm window, go to 'transfer', then ?send? It will bring up a box looking for what file to send. Pick Channels.dat from the directory you saved your edited file and click open. Also select main.dat from the 134 folder. When sending mvchannels.tcl file,select the file from the 132 folder.
    Once the files are in the /var/hack/ directory type ?ls? to confirm the files are there.
    At the bash prompt, type: chmod +x mvchannels.tcl <enter>. This makes the tcl file executable.
    Type at the bash prompt: ./mvchannels.tcl reset <enter>. This clears everything currently in the system.
    Type at the bash prompt: ./mvchannels.tcl reload <enter>. You need to run this! You may get a bunch of errors saying ?bad channel?. Ignore them and wait for it to finish. Depending on how many cities you have selected it may take a couple minutes.
    To activate the local channels, type at the bash prompt:
    ./mvchannels.tcl -file=/var/hack/channels.dat <enter>
    You should get your prompt back (since you did not loop it). Now check the TV. the channels should be in their proper places. If not, run the reset again, edit the channels.dat, reboot and try again. Do this till the channels show up exactly where you want them.
    Type: cd /etc/rc.d <enter>
    Type: ls <enter>. Make sure rc.sysinit is in this folder.
    Type ?sz rc.sysinit? and then select ?Transfer? ? ?Receive? in the box..select a folder on your pc and xfer the file.
    Using TextPad add this line at the very end of the rc.sysinit file
    /var/hack/mvchannels.tcl -loop=0 -sdelay=4 -file=/var/hack/channels.dat > /dev/null &
    Save the file
    From Hyperterm?Type cd /etc/rc.d
    Type ?rm rc.sysinit? (this removes the file ?MAKE A BACKUP OF THIS FILE)
    Type ?rz? and then select ?Transfer? ? ?send? and select the ?rc.sysinit?fil
    Type ?ls? and make sure the file is in the folder
    Type chmod 755 rc.sysinit
    Type chmod +x rc.sysinit
    Type ?ls ?la? you should get something that looks like this:

bash-2.02# ls -la
    total 71
    drwxr-xr-x 3 0 0 1024 Jan 25 02:04 .
    drwxr-xr-x 4 0 0 1024 Nov 30 02:32 ..
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 0 0 1762 Jun 30 2001 finishInstall.tcl
    drwxr-xr-x 2 0 0 1024 Nov 21 00:07 init.d
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 0 0 20527 Dec 6 01:25 orgrcsysinit
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 0 0 20649 Jan 25 02:04 rc.sysinit
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 0 0 20632 Jan 16 06:23 rc.sysinit~

Pay attention to the second last line in the above example ? the rc.sysinit file should have the rwxr-xr-x?you must have this or your TiVo will not boot up and you will have to start from the very beginning?as in open your drive and burn the image again!!
    Reset the Tivo and you are good to go.

Changing locals after doing this fix

To change or edit channels after you reset the TiVo you will have to go to the /etc/rc.d folder and comment out the last line of the script with a # at the beginning of the line and restart TiVo.

When the bash# appears, You must then go to cd /var/hack and type ?./mvchannels? kill ? this will stop the routine

You will then type ?./mvchannels reset? and wait for the prompt.

Import the revised channel.dat file and then type ?./mvchannels reload? once loaded type ?./mvchannels.tcl -file=/var/hack/channels.dat? and make sure that you see the channels in the guide.

Finally remove the # from the rc.sysinit file and restart the system.

can you tell me where to get mvch132.zip
    the thread location for the files doesnt work...i can find 131,133,134 but i cant find 132 thanks

mvchannel 132

You can do a search for it...it is in here somewhere, if I remembered the link I would share it with you but I just can't. It is in one of the posts though.

Originally posted by jerob
    can you tell me where to get mvch132.zip
    the thread location for the files doesnt work...i can find 131,133,134 but i cant find 132 thanks
    Here you go.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Removal of locals

Can someone tell me how to totally remove the mvch locals script from my tivo? It screws up my tivo by slowing it down and I am now seeing multiple copies of the same channel. I've removed the executable from rc.sysinit, powered off and re-powered, but they still appear.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    gitit1234

Before T_RJ posts a link to the search button..

( You did use the search button already right ? )

OF COURSE YOU DID....

Even BETTER.. read the mvchannels.tcl script !!

At bash, in the directory that has the mvchannels.tcl, main.dat and channels.dat type:

./mvchannels.tcl reset

make sure it's also out of your /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit

Reboot...

All is well in the world.

When it's running the reset, (about 5-10 minutes) search for the same answer.

You'll find it

Promise

JJ

I would use mvch1.35 Attached for your use.

Read the the mvchannel.tcl file it has the instructions on how to use it.

You should do a "mvchannel.tcl dumpall -main"

to create a new main-new.dat file

rename this to main.dat

This file is used to reset the locals and any other channel number changes you have attempted to normal ( maybe )

run mvchannel.tcl reset

this zero's out any changes you made prev.

create a new channels.dat for your box

mvchannels.tcl -dumpall

Edit your channels.dat to your preference.

I suggest you keep this as simple as possible.

If you try and move channles all over the place ( not their default locations ) you will have to call the script from the rc.sysinit and loop it so it refresh's your changes ( TiVo is already slow, we really don't need to make it slower ).

Keep your changes in their default locations and you won't need to loop it.

My changes stick once I run it once.

Oh and if you don't understand what I just posted ask JJBliss how to use the search button.

I forgot to attach the file
    Attached Files Attached Files

one quick question, I am running 1.34 and would like to switch to 1.35. For me to upgrade, can I just replace my current mvchannels.tcl w/ the new one and reboot and call it good?

Or do I have to restructure my channels.dat file again?

thanks in advance.

Morning, Dog!

You do not have to restructure your channels.dat. Just download the new mvchannels 1.35 tcl file into /var/hack (assuming tht is where you had the old one):

cd /var/hack
    mv mvchannels.tcl mvchannels.tcl.134
    rz

Send the 1.35 mvchannels.tcl

chmod +x mvchannels.tcl

restart

sweet!!! you are always a great helper.

NEWBIE NEEDS HELP

I just loaded 25extreme on my DR6K. Locals are not correct and need help making the change. When I loaded the 25Xtr, I did not use the serial cable so I'm not sure how to upload the files via HypTer. I've read the threads and I'm not sure if I need 132 & 135?.....

Not really experienced at using HypTer so outside out "touch"please instruct me in a basic mode.

Re: NEWBIE NEEDS HELP

Originally posted by TIVO2002
    I just loaded 25extreme on my DR6K. Locals are not correct and need help making the change. When I loaded the 25Xtr, I did not use the serial cable so I'm not sure how to upload the files via HypTer. I've read the threads and I'm not sure if I need 132 & 135?.....

Not really experienced at using HypTer so outside out "touch"please instruct me in a basic mode.
    Well if your locals are for the wrong location, then your "card" is most likely the problem. We really don't discuss those issues here.

If they are just in the wrong places, then you need to get your cable working so you can xfer the files. Keep reading, it's all here.

I've run the ./mvchannels.tcl reset but now I'm not even seeing my locals for where I live. It's on a legit card that is subscribed. I just removed them, will it take time to re-appear or have I totally lost them?
    Thanks

Originally posted by gitit1234
    I've run the ./mvchannels.tcl reset but now I'm not even seeing my locals for where I live. It's on a legit card that is subscribed. I just removed them, will it take time to re-appear or have I totally lost them?
    Thanks
    If you did a reset and stopped mvchannels, the locals you are entitled to should start to show up again.