Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: IRD Number

IRD Number

i was wondering if anyone knew where the ird number is stored and if i can change it through the bash prompt. i do some tests with the ird number and wish to have all my irds with the same number to make it easier for testing. i'm not talking about the tivo serial number but the ird number. it makes it easier when doing testing.

thank you.

it's in the serial flash accessable by the master 5505

Hey Bubbaj

I noticed that IRD number changes when you change the serial number of the TiVo.

Is the IRD number derived from the serial Number?

Bubba, you mean the prom where the bios/boot rom is stored?

.. ignore my previous post.. I wasn't thinking clearly. The truth is, I'm not completely sure where the IRD number comes from, it may indeed be a contrivance of some function on the TiVo ID..
    it isnot in the boot prom that I know of..

I can't get my second tivo working just yet but when I do I will try and make them have the same serial number and see if they end up with the same IRD number. I'll post my results.

This is an interesting thread, has anyone had a chance to actually try changing their serial number file to see if the IRD number changes.

If the IRD number is derived from the serial number, and most of us are using 25xtreme and therefore have the same number in that serial number file, does that mean we might all have the same IRD number?

I think most people agree that the next TiVo update will come down through the sattelite. I believe that in order to control the number of units that are simultaneously updated, they will have to send the updates to groups of recievers rather than just a global update. The only thing that makes any sense is to tie the update to either the serial number or the IRD number. If you were to decide to opt out of the update, I think one way would be to change these numbers.

Of course this may only delay the inevitable since once the update has been out for a while they will probably deliver it globaly. At the very least you would have a few weeks even months of warning to prepare and decide how to handle the changes. Any bets that the default 25Xtreme serial number will be one of the first updated?

I'd like to know what others think. Am I nuts?

... Ok, let me rephrase that, am I right or wrong?

The IRD number is directly related to the the TIVO service nimber.

The serial number is embedded on the mother board.
    This number can easily be changed at will.

It has nothing to do with Xtreme.

My tivo's:

2 Philips, 2 Sony's, 1 Hughe's all have personallity conflicts.

They alll believe they are the same!

Quintuplets and yet they still manage to keep there individual core personalities.

IE: Sony splash still say Sony, Hughes still say Hughes, Philips.still say Philips.

IRD number however are identcal.

T_RJ

Thanks for the information. I've done some more reading tonite and I'm starting to understand. If you don't mind, I just have three more questions about the serial number.

If I were to type crypto -u -ssn "xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" and assign a new serial number will my hard drives be rejected, and will I be forced to reset the system? If this is the case, is there any way to avoid this?

Are there any serial numbers that are invalid ? All zeros or all Fs?

What does the serialnumber (I forget the exact name) file on the TiVo hard drive contain?

I just have three more questions about the serial number.
    If I were to type crypto -u -ssn "xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" and assign a new serial number will my hard drives be rejected, and will I be forced to reset the system?
    Yes you will have to do a clear and reset everything.

If this is the case, is there any way to avoid this?
    At this point NO.
    There have been many discussions regarding this, no one has been able to provide a concrete answer as of yet.

Are there any serial numbers that are invalid ? All zeros or all Fs?
    I've tried many.
    See what happens.
    You won't break it.
    Be aware that the service Number is broken into several parts.
    Some parts define the Model IE Sony, Philips etc..
    Others ( last six didgits ) for example define the IRD #

What does the serialnumber (I forget the exact name) file on the TiVo hard drive contain?
    I don't know.

EDIT: T_RJ beat me to this...

Changing the Tivo Service ID or SN (and thus, the IRD number - which is based on the Tivo ID) will give software version 2.5 some fits - it's no longer married, and you're forced to do a "Clear and Delete Everything" to get it working again. You'll lose your recordings, SPs, etc.

We've not yet figured out a way around this. The crypto chip also has it's own unique ID - issue "crypto -gcn" (gcn = get chip number?). We don't know how to change this value.

This "chip number" is probably used in the "marriage" as well, since changing the SN in crypto (as T_RJ has all of his the same) still does not allow drive swapping between units of identical SN.

As far as I can tell, the hard drive SN is not used in the marriage - since moving an image to a new drive, and placing the new drive back on the original DTivo does not phase 2.5...

But the advantage to having all your DTivos set to one SN is that it allows you to move your access cards between them.

Thanks chipster and T_RJ

I only have the one TiVo, and was looking at this as a way to avoid receiving software updates. It sounds like the best course of action would be to find a way to change the portion of the Service Number that identifies the unit as a Dtivo.

Has anyone tried to do this yet. Have they had any success?

I could look at disassembling the crypto program. Maybe that would give some clues. My dissasembly skills are pretty much non existant, but this is a good chance to learn.

That won't work.
    The only thing it may accomplish is your DTiVo will recieve software updates for what it believes it is.

IE: if you make the serial number equall to a stand alone it will recieve stand alone updates.

You can cunfuse the hell out of your DTiVo if you change it's serial/service number.

That won't work.
    The only thing it may accomplish is your DTiVo will recieve software updates for what it believes it is.

IE: if you make the serial number equall to a stand alone it will recieve stand alone updates.
    I don't mean to keep asking dumb questions, but what if I make it to be the serial number of an RCA303 unit for instance? Or maybe go crazy and give it a serial number that doesn't correspond to anything in the known universe?

Interesting

Originally posted by BigDog

I don't mean to keep asking dumb questions, but what if I make it to be the serial number of an RCA303 unit for instance? Or maybe go crazy and give it a serial number that doesn't correspond to anything in the known universe?
    This question is one I am curious about. I have my sub with a Sony SAT-A65 and would like to have the serial number on my Sony T60 tivo the same as the A65 so that I could put my sub card in the tivo if I wanted to without any problems.