Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: IRD Number

An other way would be that DTV decides that it will make some changes to the streem. This change is compatible with the new TiVo software but not with the old. The new software is able to use the old stream as well as the new. TiVo upgrades subscribers to the new SW. The software is downloaded through the stream but is missing the install key, it is only recieved by a call home.

That is very true, but they have a lot to loose by becoming hostile to hackers. We have now created an aftermarket for TIVO (tivonet, and airnet)
    When you have an aftermarket, you become a defacto standard. TiVo is in a battle right now for dominance of the market place, until they win that battle they will be very careful not to make anyone to angry. JMHO

I tried on the philips
    No joy

Hughes sn# gx3d48a3c014
    No joy

Originally posted by T_RJ

An other way would be that DTV decides that it will make some changes to the streem. This change is compatible with the new TiVo software but not with the old. The new software is able to use the old stream as well as the new. TiVo upgrades subscribers to the new SW. The software is downloaded through the stream but is missing the install key, it is only recieved by a call home.

DTV makes the stream change two months later.

All unsubscribed watchers loose TV.
    Only until we find what the "Key" is...so the problem is changing OUR service & IRD#s to match a subb'd "valid" service & IRD #??

BBQ

T_RJ,

Is your Philips Serial # 48108566?

no

I tried on the philips
    No joy

Hughes sn# gx3d48a3c014
    No joy
    What is the IRD# in your TiVo menu for your Hughes...53A3C014?

no

Oops, I made a mistake...well that works!

47008490 in HEX = 2CD4AEA
    IRD# (TIVO menu) = 53284694

so,

53284694/2CD4AEA = 1D....or 29

Therefore, if you have a philips and know either one of those numbers, then you can get the other...

BBQ

So now that you guys have worked out the math, any meaningful conclusions on how to leverage this info to prevent an unwanted update? Can we create some really odd number for the "card" that would confuse the Tivo if they are in fact going to use some algorithm based on this number?

Nevermind...

Nevermind.... the Decimal multiplier of 29 is wrong...my hex calculator actually rounded up....I actually get variations of 29.6XXXXXXX as a multiplier.

This is all moot anyways...I think....

BBQ

I had to take my son to karate but I'm back.

I was starting to think I had no idea what the H**L I was doing.

Glad ( not really ) that it wasn't just me with the math.

Well it really doesn't make much of a difference.

We know how to set the IRD number to what ever we want. (Hex - Dec) Dah!

And that alone is a very good thing!

I had to take my son to karate but I'm back.
    Soccer, karate,...what else does your son do!!??

So do you change your IRD # by "crypto -u -ssn xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" as stated earlier? I was/am a little confused

BBQ

My Son
    Soccer weekends. Alt Sat/Sun
    Karate Tesdays and Thursdays
    Traditional Irish music fiddle lesson's on the weekends.

My Daughter
    Classical Piano on Tuesday's
    Irish Step Dancing Thursday's
    Taditional Irish music Piano and Fiddle on the weekends.

Dad
    Work all week.
    Traditional Irish Music Thursdays Eve
    damn I'm late got ot go.

So do you change your IRD # by "crypto -u -ssn xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" as stated earlier?
    Yes.

yep
    Last edited by AlphaWolf; 12-20-2002 at 05:19 PM.
    Before PMing me: Iím not your personal tech support. If you have a question, ask in public so I don't have to repeat if somebody else asks. If you want images or slices, use emule. I will ignore all support PMs.

Sponsor a vegetarian! I have taken the pledge, how about you?

I would think the only way to stop us would be to make all of the guide data come through the phone calls a la an SA tivo would, but if I am not mistaken, can't you also get a fully working hacked non subscribed SA tivo?
    I don't even think that would stop us. With a TiVo net card there's no reason the system couldn't be hacked so the guide data could be downloaded from a website.

I don't really think there is any way for TiVo to shut us down completely, I don't even think it's in their interest to try.

I think the worst case scenario would have us reflashing and reimaging the system to the point where the it's no longer worth the effort to continue to use the TiVo. I don't know about you but I'm sure there would be other PVR companies who wouldn't mind us buying then playing with their systems.

bump

Hey, I'm trying to solve the Error #51 issue to help a friend retrieve some long lost recordings... has anyone successfully completed an strace of '/tvbin/crypto -gcn'? If so, what syscalls does it use to obtain the crypto chip ID? Is there any reason why we can't bypass it at the kernel level?

-adh