Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TivoApp V2

TivoApp V2

I'm glad that so many seem to be using this application. It's when I find so many people using it that I want to add more functionality, and I hope it is meeting your needs.

I've finally at the point where I'm ready to have my new version of TivoApp available. I've integrated TyConvert into the application, since so many people seem to have pretty good luck with creating MPEG files using this.

As for myself, I seem to have had some difficulties making the audio sync properly with either this new version of TivoApp or the standalone TyConvert.

The new version of this application has many new options for the conversion process, and the page at TivoApp home page (and the included TivoApp.html web page) describe these new options. If you are familiar with TyConvert, then you are already familiar with the options. I chose not to expose the options to skip some part of the beginning part of a show, and if there are complaints, I'll put it in.

I've also enhanced the TyConvert code a little. First, I added code to check the sequence numbers from the chunk headers. Most of the other conversion programs do this, and I found that this takes care of some sequencing problems that made TyConvert think the timecodes wereallwrong. Also, I added code to look for the 03 packets in the chunk headers, because these cause a problem for some. I have not found any tystreams with this 03 packet, so I can't verify that this code works.

Also as part of revamping the code to use TyConvert, it is possible that some of the network hang issues may be taken care of. The older code used a ring buffer to pass data from the network to the conversion code, whereas this new code uses an OS pipe, which should be much more reliable.

As a part of adding TyConvert, I've made a major revamping of how the status is reported, and it now has much better window for showing this status along with a progress bar. This works for all extractions, including the raw tystream mode.

As before, I am including thesource code for those adventurous people. The older version is still available as TivoApp V1

If you have problems with this new version, I'll be happy to do what I can to fix them, but I still don't have a good MPEG reference that might help fix the audio sync problems. If anyone can point me to a good book, or has the complete spec, I'd like to learn it.

And any feedback is welcome as well. You will already see some new features that resulted from feedback from version 1. Enjoy!

Gary,

Good work. Always great to see a new verson come out... Just out of curiosity did you get the busy-wait fixes I sent you for the previous version included?

jdiner

Well, I just want to give Gary an attaboy and my thanks for a job well done!

Also, as food for thought, how difficult would it be to upload TyStreams back to the TiVo? That would be a poor man's way of archiving programs for showing at some future date. I have not had satisfactory results from my feeble attempts to create SVCDs of shows that are close to an hour in length...I mean, who wants to change a disk every half-hour? And from what I've heard, making DVDs from TiVo streams has mixed results as well. So is there a possibility that the original TiVo stream could be uploaded back to the TiVo with all the changes in the data structures that need to be made?

Maybe I ought to opt for a S-VHS recorder to archive my favorite shows...

Anyway, my thanks, Gary, for a great program!

Ophelio,
    Nick Hull was playing around with sending them back to the Tivo, but I didn't ever see anything come out of this. He was trying to put it back into MFS, and couldn't quite figure out the magic for allocating blocks in MFS. Others send the stream back to the Tivo and put it on the file system as separate audio and video files, then use playitsam to play it on the Tivo.

Joshua,
    Yes, I did get those changes, but I did not incorporate them because I changed around how the networking code sends to the extract thread. The older version used a ring buffer that really wasn't all that big, and really wasn't written very well. The newer version sets up an OS pipe between the network receiver code and the extraction thread. I made the pipe be 1MB, which should be big enough. Basically, the extraction code is radically different from what was there before.

Originally posted by garyw90
    ...Others send the stream back to the Tivo and put it on the file system as separate audio and video files, then use playitsam to play it on the Tivo.
    If i'm not mistaken, playitsam only works with tystreams.
    To play separate audio and video files, just cat them to the appropriate devices.

btw,
    Nice job, Gary!
    Thanks!

(love the progress bar!)

Looks great ...

Gary,
    I love the integrated selection, extraction AND converison of TivoApp, but I think leaving in the skip chunks option would be very helpfull for some.

I know that on my extracted streams, the first 1 or 2 chunks are ALWAYS bogus (usually from a different recording) This usually causes tyc to crash. I can only assume this is why the new TivoApp doesn't work for me.

Bill

Bill,
    How does the new TivoApp not work for you? Does it just stop, or does it crash? If it crashes and you don't have a software development installed on your system, then Dr Watson may have taken a memory dump. Run drwtsn32 and in the Crash Dump edit box, it gives the path where crash dumps are put. Check to see if there is a file there, and if so, please send it to me (use WinZip to make it smaller), and I'll take a look at it.

Is there is some other reason, perhaps it is hung?

a little bit more...

Gary,

With a bit more expermenting I have found out that Tivoapp works on some streams and not on others. I have 3 scenarios:
    1.) works perfect, sync seems OK
    2.) works (converts) but resulting mpeg is screwey (frame size and such) crashes WinDVD, plays strangely in PowerDVD and no video on MP
    3.) crashes as soon as conversion starts.

very strange because the stream behavior is not consistant

I am using TivoApp with sendstream

other times it crashes at some point in the conversion, but these streams crash at the same point in the standalone Tyc.

I will send you the DrW dump if you'd like to see whats happening

Bill

I just started using Tivoapp with version 2.0. I have only tried the mpeg2 conversion option. I've run the app about 10 times. I've never achieved 100% success, although it's close. About 3 tmes, the program just crashed. (I will run dr. watson and try to get you a dump.) One time, the program completed and I had around a 500+ MB mpg file. This file seemed ok, but when playing, it would stutter. Another occasion, the program got to about 80% and crashed, but the resulting mpg file, although incomplete, played appropriately. Lately, when I try, the program works to completion, but the resulting files are way too small... sometimes 17 MB, sometimes as small as 199K. These files will play, but are only a tiny portion of the beginning of the show (usually commercials). Any suggestions as to the best settings to use, etc?

I think the program has a lot of potential and my thanks go out to garyw90 and all the others who have worked on this project!

Sincerely,
    Jimmy99

The conversion that is built into the new tivoapp yields a lot of blips in the MPEG file. (Whether I do the convert during of after the extraction.) If I take the same ty file and run it through TyConvert (the separate app), everything works perfectly.

-Kyle

Kyle and Jimmy99,
    Are you guys running with the Track Tivo Sequence codes turned on? If you are, then TivoApp will skip packets that it thinks are out of sequence. You can turn this off, and it should behave more like the standalone TyConvert. I added this option after I found TyConvert complaining about a big jump in the timecodes, only to discover that this was really an invalid chunk.

Hey Gary, could you add an option to do -p (include PES headers) when pulling ty files from the tivo. I have read that this helps with audio/video sync. No matter what i do, i cannot get my svcd's to be synced. I pull them off the tivo with tivoapp, convert to mpg with tyconvert, then use dvd2avi to create a project file. Use avisynth to do some cropping and de-interlacing then encode in cce. Sync is always off. Even if i do an AssumeFPS(xxx) in the .avs file i use to bring the d2v project file into cce, cce always encodes at 29.97..ugh

.AcidRain.

Gary, tried without that Track Tivo button checked, and I still get the blips.

-Kyle

Acid,
    I guess I'm not sure what you are looking for here. When you extract to the raw tystream, everything is stored in that tystream file, including the PES headers. It's only when you allow TivoApp to create the MPEG 2 that it strips out the Tivo specific stuff.

Problems...

I have finally gotten everything working with tivoapp.

Until, I try to extract a show sometimes it gets about halfway through sometimes more, then it locks up, sometimes it actually locks up the Tivo as well.

I have the latest versions of everything, I am running on XP.

Zippy