Thread: Using rmLogs on a DTiVo that calls home normally

Using rmLogs on a DTiVo that calls home normally

I was wondering if there is a way to use the rmlogs script on a fully subbed box that calls home Dailey.

I can't stand the idea that TiVo gets a download from my DTiVo that tells them what time I paused the TiVo while watching Oprah to take a p***. Or that I am a dumb ass and don't know how to push the buttons on my TiVo when I am drunk etc...

It would be nice to have the TiVo delete the logs before it calls.

I like my privacy!

This way it would also be able to call DTV so they can charge me for my PPV's.

Actually this is for friend ( my Boss ) that doesn't like cheating but definitely likes his privacy.
    Last edited by T_RJ; 02-05-2002 at 07:18 PM.

If using v2.5 you'll have to hack to get file access as you know. I would run the logsNull method as I posted elsewhere. That way the log files will be there but contain no data to upload.

Originally posted by superzap
    If using v2.5 you'll have to hack to get file access as you know. I would run the logsNull method as I posted elsewhere. That way the log files will be there but contain no data to upload.
    I would think both Tivo and DTV would wonder what's up when there is no activity logged day after day.

I think they would notice also, but if they ever questioned anyone about it I would tell them I didn't feel that my viewing habits was any of there business.

I bought the TiVo and it belongs to me.

It runs Linux, I have the ability to manipulate the software so I did and I think that logging anything about what I do with my TiVo is an invasion of my privacy.

I agree entirely with you T_RJ, it's none of their business. Yesterday on Tech Live (techtv) there was a report about TiVo giving out the numbers of TiVo users who recorded and played back the Britney Spears Pepsi commercial that was aired with the SuperBowl. Which proves that they are actively analyzing this data and distributing it freely. So much for privacy. Next thing you know we'll be seeing stats on who's watching 596.

They will be able to tell how long it takes PPL to get themselves off. And will have a report in some medical journal regarding it.

Or you could just call them up, opt-out, wait a couple days, turn the backdoors on, look at the system info screen, and verify that "OptStatus:" has changed to "OptedOut", meaning that the info isn't being sent anymore.

Read TClient and you might even be able to find which setting to change in MFS to set that flag yourself.

Oh, and if you look *really* carefully, you might just figure out how anonymous the data really is, ie. totally.
    Last edited by Otto; 02-06-2002 at 03:55 PM.

Well it may say "Opted Out". But can you be sure that no info is being sent?

I could tell you that I am not going to look through your windows but does that mean that I won't. ie "Opted Out"

I know a man is only as good as his word but you never know what may change his mind.

If you put curtains up on your windows then you know for sure I can't look through your window. ie delete the logs.

I don't worry about the anonymous part, I'm quite certain TiVo sticks to their privacy policy. The problem with DTivo boxes is that DTV gets all the same info, and if you happen to be doing something funny to get certain channels, you could be exposing yourself. (No pun intended.)

Otto

I searched every file on a T60 for OptedOut and optout, no hits. Also looked carefully thru TClient-lib.itcl, nothing. Any more clues?

Hell, I don't remember exactly.. It was a long time ago that I looked at this stuff.

Okay, I think it's an entry in the /Setup object called noPrivBackhaul.. It may have changed names in 2.5 or something, but all you have to do is set it to 1.

Just dumpobj /Setup and see what's in there.. BackHaul is what it's called.