had no errors on it.

still does the powerup/reboot thing
    over and over.

im thinking eprom problems

anyone want to buy this thing !!
    or possibly steer me in a direction

thanks
    Mike
    Last edited by Mike_in_SD; 02-09-2002 at 03:51 AM.

Hey Mike,
    I will buy it from you...
    If I were you I would give it another shot though.. They are great toys once you get them going.

-- It sounds like you may have a bad hard drive.. I know you ran every disk checking tool in the world, but it still may be bad.. is it a Quantum? if not you may have to run a utility to tell it that it is not a quantum...
    I could never get any drive but the original to work as my A drive...

Like I said, I will buy if from you, PM me with a price... But I really think you should try again first...

Hey i have a question...I am just getting into this...I have a new tivo as well....it has v2.5 on it....when talking about setting jumpers...are people talking about the hard drive on their PC, or are their jumpers on the tivo hard drive...i have yet to open my tivo box......do i need to?

You will need to if you plan on running xtreme or plan on manually hacking the prom & kernel.

Your TiVo will stop working after not calling in for thirty days.
    If you do let it call home it will tell DTV and TiVo all that you have been doing with it for the past 30 days.

It will then change the account status to new and you might get away with not having to call in for another thirty days.

The next time it calls in it will again tell DTV and TiVo what you have been doing for the last thirty days and change the account status to not set up and you will loose TiVo functionality.
    IE: no pausing live tv. no recording using season passes etc..
    It will work like VCR so you will be able to hit the record button and record what you watching, you may even be able to schedule to record by time and date on a particular channel I'm not sure about this.

Basically it becomes a VCR none of the bells and whistles of TiVo.

My question is this... When setting jumpers on the hard drive per the tutorial I have been reading, they are referring to jumpers on the PC hard drive, right? There are no jumpers on the Tivo hard drive to worry about, correct?

Also, why would I need to crack open the tivo at all? Can't I get into the OS by simply setting up a PC and making a serial cable to interface with the back of the Tivo?

Originally posted by strakajagr
    My question is this... When setting jumpers on the hard drive per the tutorial I have been reading, they are referring to jumpers on the PC hard drive, right? There are no jumpers on the Tivo hard drive to worry about, correct?

Also, why would I need to crack open the tivo at all? Can't I get into the OS by simply setting up a PC and making a serial cable to interface with the back of the Tivo?
    The jumpers referred to are on those of the Tivo hard drive(s).

You have to open the Tivo and take the drives out if you want to do Xtreme.

Bash will noy work on an unmodified DTiVo.
    The prom needs to be edit then updated and the kernel needs to edited as well.

I see... Like I said, I have been reading a tutorial and it made no mention of those 2 things... How on earth do I edit the kernel and edit and update the prom?

If you cannot get it to boot with a 2.0 image then you might also want to try adding the "runideturbo=false" to the bootparams. The bootloop can also be caused by using a non-quantum drive with a 2.0 kernel and not having ideturbo turned off.

If the above fails, the prom is probably messed up. I would be willing to purchase the unit from you because I have the facilities to remove the prom, reprogram it with my Data I/O, and then solder it back on. PM me if you are still interested in selling it.
    Information wants to be free....

I had the same thing happen. What solved my problem was setting my (a) drive as cable select and attaching it to the last position on the IDE cable. My second drive is attached as a slave to the IDE connection in the middle of the ribbon cable. Another thing, Make sure when your drives are connected to the PC that they are "right side up" and connected in the same manner (not necessarily with the same cable). I know, but believe me NO where did I read this on any of the guides or forums. I spent the better part of a three weeks figuring it out for myself. Now I had to replace my tivo power supply. (hopefully just had a bad one). Now best buy has a display with a bad power supply. ooh well gotta get that warranty somehow.

one other thing. If you didn't run qunlock or the like that might be a problem too.
    Last edited by geek4tv; 02-20-2002 at 02:48 PM.

reset craziness

not sure what model direct/tivo you have but check out this post
    it might be what you have happening

http://www.dsschat.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=111753

and if it is this should tell you how to fix it

http://www.dsschat.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=116655

its the last post at the bottom hope this help you so you dont have to get rid of your direct/tivo