Thread: xtreme 2.5 and legit subscribing

xtreme 2.5 and legit subscribing

Hi everyone,

I just installed xtreme 2.5 and it works great... but I want to subscribe to the Tivo service just because I wanna be supporting what they're doing.

The reason why I used xtreme 2.5 is so I can get a bash prompt on my system so I can play with the cool little toys like TivoTitle. That's pretty much the only reason.

I have a backup of my 2.0 drive image that I can restore.

What's the best way to get a bash prompt and legitimately subscribe without getting in trouble? With TivoLater be of any help?

Thanks in advance!

Re: xtreme 2.5 and legit subscribing

If you didn't do the "touch" routine, you can sub with no problem. Just keep in mind that the log data uploaded to TiVo is shared with DirecTV.

Re: Re: xtreme 2.5 and legit subscribing

Originally posted by BubbleLamp
    If you didn't do the "touch" routine, you can sub with no problem. Just keep in mind that the log data uploaded to TiVo is shared with DirecTV.
    Thanks BubbleLamp.... Do I need to delete the logs every day or just the first time? What kind of incrminating information are in these logs?

The TiVo has a hidden microphone, it knows at what point in time while you were watching the Simpsons that you farted.

It also keeps track of every button pushed on the remote.
    So if you are a dumb ass and can't push the correct buttons TiVo will call you and ask you what your problem is.

It keeps trck of every show you watch.
    So if you are cartoon addict they will know.

If you watch a PPV's it knows that too.
    If you wipe your PPV's it doesn't know about that.
    DTV might have a problem with your watching PPV and then never getting paid.

ETC...

Even if you delete the logs, I'm not sure you want it to be calling in. If it sends your card ID# to DTV, I think they will start wondering what's up. I'm not sure just deleting the logs is enough to prevent this, perhaps someone else who has tried that and scanned the logs afterwards can comment.

I had the same dilemma. There don't seem to be too many people out there like you. I ended up using 2.5extreme to flash the prom and then restored my 2.5 backup image over it. I then had to run one extra command ("dd....." and a bunch of other stuff) and I was good to go.

Not sure what the concern is over the logs. How would that identify a 2.5extreme box? Anyways, if you restore your own image, I would think it would eliminate any problem there.

Here are some links from my past which might be helpful:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...threadid=25732

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...threadid=25680

Good luck!

The logging is only an problem if he does anything non-standard with his access card, otherwise it's a non-issue.