Thread: Brand new to this

Brand new to this

I have been reading and reading and now I am utterly confused. I bought the DSR6K off of ebay with 2.5 ALREADY installed. Since it already HAS a lifetime Tivo subscription, WHY do I need to do anything else? The person who sold this to me stated the same thing that canadiancardcleaners stated.... "Lifetime subscription, dual tuner ready, NO need to plug into a phone line EVER."

If this is all true, then WHY would I need to do anything else?

I am trying to figure out exactly WHAT needs to get done before I open up my unit and start messing with it.

If you bought a unit with a real Tivo lifetime sub, then you'd be fine. Since it sounds like you bought a hacked unit, you probably don't have any warranty either. So, you can open it whenever you want to do whatever you'd like.

Well from talking to the guy from whom I bought this, it sounds like he signed up for lifetime service and then sold it. He definitely did not hack it. When checking the system info, it says Tivo lifetime subscription... BUT, it sounds like, even with this I would need to plug in every 30 days for a cleaing, so to speak. Is this true? I have been told that it will crash unless I become pro-active in its maintanence.... Assumining for a minute I actually HAVE legit Tivo 2.5, what would my next step be?

Well I don't know how to verify your unit is a legit lifetime sub other than by calling Tivo and giving them the ID number. But judging by your comment that he said there's no need to plug in the phone line, I'd bet it isn't. A real Lifetime sub doesn't get you that.

So assuming it is a hacked unit, and if he did the sub fix on it, the only thing you'll have to worry about is if he did something to deal with the logs. If the log files get too big and the unit decides to delete and recreate the /var directory, then you'll have to roll up your sleeves.

Arrrrgggghh!! OK what is my first move? Is there any way I can even just start from scratch with this? What would you suggest I do first? I need to get committed

Really quite simple to test.

if you go to to

TiVo

Messages & setup

Receiver & Phone Setup

Phine Connection

Make Daily Call Now

And make sure YOU DO NOT "DO NOT" have the phone line pluged in.

If it succeeds then it's hacked.

Thats not to say it doesn't have a ligit life time Sub it may (doubtfull)

But in order to tell you will need to call TiVo and check or unhack it and force a daily call with the phone line plugged in "PLUGGED IN"

If it succeeds and it show's Liftime sub in the sysinfo then you have something ligit to work with ( doubtfull).

So here you go. This is verbatim what the seller said to me:

"if you don't mess with any of the files on the drive, the unit
    will work as it is indefinitely."

"you're interpreting what you're reading incorrectly...the whole
    point of the mods that were made was to bypass any need to call into TiVo for any updates. We've done several of these, and you're the only one having problems. The one I use has been up and running problem free
    for months."

So what do you guys think about this guy?? Is he on the level?? He is willing to take it back and fix it if it breaks down in any way. And since I am having reset issues he wants to take a look at it anyway. Should I send it back or hack it myself?

Well it's your call. If you paid a reasonable price for it and feel this guy will be there to help, go for it. But if he gouged you on the price, I'd probably go with getting a refund and doing it on your own. Just my two cents.

325.....It seemed reasonable.