Thread: DSR6000 additional hard drive question

DSR6000 additional hard drive question

If I want to add a hard drive to a DSR6000, I know it has to be and IDE drive, what I want to know is if it has to be 7200 rpms or if a 5400 rpm drive is ok. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Either will work and no one type is "required" per se.

The general consensus seems to be that a 5400-rpm drive will arguably run a little more quietly and will generate less extra heat inside the DTiVo unit (when compared w/ a 7200-rpm drive).

Good luck!

Western Digitals are the loudest
    Maxtors are quieter

The Seagate Barracuda IV, even though it's 7200RPM, is the quietest, and runs about as cool as a 5400.

i too am about to add a "b" drive to my dtvio. from reading previous posts, it appears that i need to pull my original 25xtreme'd drive ("a") and put both drives into my pc and re-run the 25xtreme cd to get both drives recognized in my dtivo. is this definitely the case??? i really don't want to lost everything on my a drive, but if this is the only way to get it done i will have to do it. could someone confirm this? thanks.

Thanks guys, looks like the Seagate is the way to go, thx for your help.

If you run 25xtreme on an existing TiVo drive, you will lose all existing recordings.

If all you want to do is add space and dont need the "benefits" of 25xtreme, you just need to "bless" the second drive. Then you can keep your existing recordings.

If you already 25xtreme'd your A drive AND ran TiVoMAD, then you have to start from scratch. If you didnt run TiVoMAD you can bless and add the second drive.

Whew. Comprende Senor?

Can you save the current info from the a drive and reapply once you run 25xtreme?
    jc

No...unfortunatley.

How can I tell if TivoMad has been run on a drive. I ordered a DSR6000 off eBay and was planning to add a second drive to it and install 25Xtreme. I now find out from the seller that it already has 25Xtreme on it and functional, it just doesn't have the log file fix applied yet. He didn't install 25xtreme on it, a college buddy did and he has no idea if TivoMad was run on the drive.

Part of me says just reinstall 25xtreme for the learning experience, but then again maybe I shouldn't break something that doesn't need fixing Can I tell whether TivoMad was run on the drive via the bash prompt? If it hasn't, I assume I use TivoMad to bless a second drive to work with the existing drive running 25xtreme?

Thanks for any help!

How big is the A drive? If its a big drive, then he had to run TiVomad to use all the space.

If I were you, i'd just do it again. It is VERY easy to do, and you will be learning at the same time!

>>I assume I use TivoMad to bless a second drive<<

Actually you use "Blesstivo"...

The existing drive in the unit is the standard 35 hour drive that comes with the DSR6000, so most likely there was no reason to run TivoMad on it. But your suggestion is well taken, the learning experience of setting it up myself is worthwhile, deep down I know that's the right route to go. Also, from a troubleshooting standpoint, if I have issues in the future I'll always wonder if it's due to something he did to the unit while or after he set it up. If I install fresh, and document what I do, I'll be more confident when I troubleshoot issues in the future. I've been reading this forum and the FAQs and walkthroughs for a couple of days and things are so well documented by you guys that I feel pretty confident that I can get one up and running. I just need to get more comfortable with Linux. I've been building Windows based pc's for years, but I've only dabbled a little with Red Hat, and with the graphical interface you really don't need to learn much linux to get it up and running. I'll probably leave the unit as is for a bit, check out the directory structure and become a little more comfortable with Linux, then I'll take the dive, add my big B drive and reinstall everything. Thanks for your input!