Thread: help - I'm lost loading new Tivo drive to PC

Question help - I'm lost loading new Tivo drive to PC

Hi:
    I'm a complete newbie who's lost at the moment. I have downloaded and burned a working CD copy of 2.5 Extreeme which appears to be loading and working fine. I have also removed my brand new, never powed up 40 MG single drive Fireball hard drive from my Hughes DirectTV/Tivo receiver and connected it below my PC's hard drive on a spare removable storage connector I found under my primary hard drive bay. When I boot up the computer in Windows my PC see's the drive but it won't come up on the hard drive icons under hard drives in Windows XP under "My Computer
    Now more frustration for me. When I boot up the Extreeme 2.5 CD it appears to load fine and I get past the login command with the two returns and then I get the following prompt:
    "Mount: block device/ dev/hdd is write protected, mounting read only mount. No medium found." I then get a #: prompt. I'm sure this has something to do with needing to format the drive or partition it but how do I do that? Is it using the commands ain sections 3&4 of the Newbies Guide to the TiVO? I also want to try and backup the drive to a CD before I screw around with it and make changes to it. Any help would make me a happy guy. I'm really lost at the moment. Thanks in advance!

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if you booted Windows XP with your Tivo drive attached, you've probably already messed up the Tivo drive. Windows 2000/XP will write over the disk signature on any drive it finds.

Before you go any further, put the drive back in your Tivo and see if it boots. If not, you'll have to do the Xtreme route from scratch.

and if you plan on backing up, makes sure the backup drive isn't formatted with ntfs. It won't work, and good chance your xp system is formatted ntfs.

and you dev/hdd that gets mounted read only is most likely your cd drive on the secondary ide channel as the slave. Can't write to the cd drive...thats why its mounted read only.

Red face Still boots up like a charm!!

Well, I put the unit back together in a few minutes and it booted right up like a charm with the setup menus poped up with both audio and video so I don't think I did any damage to the software nor the hard drive. I'm beginning to feel like an ***** however. If you guys could talk me thru getting the Tivo drive wired up to my PC properly to get the Extreeme 2.5 program loaded on I think I'll be on my way to completing my weekend mission. I have a newly added CD-RW drive and a DVD/CDR connected to my computer right now along with a floppy and the "C" hard drive. I believe the boot up order right now is Floopy, DVD, CD-RW and then the "C" hard drive. Should I hook up the TIVO drive to the CD-RW drive or the DVD drive connectors or doesn't that matter? I can run the Extreeme 2.5 program from either drive on my PC right now. I'd like to get the TiVO drive communicating to my PC so I can first back up the TIVO drive to a CD burn and then get the Extreeme 2.5 program loaded onto the TIVO drive. What's should my next step be in this project regarding the PC hookup for proper communications? I know I probably sound completely lost but consider this you're Special Olympics charity project for he weekend. Again, a million thanks in advance!

Special Olympics charity project

Think you should read and use the search button.

>>you should read<<

Hehe..I agree! Read all the 25xtreme FAQ's you can find.

When you install 25xtreme, you are booting from a bootable CD, which contains the Linux operating system. Windows never loads, and shouldnt load as the partitions (layout of information) on the hard drives are very different from one operating system to the next, and they are not at all compatible.

Read this for starters...

from newbie to newbie

That happened to me. I figured out I had to change my jumper setting on the tivo drive to slave. I was hooked to a slave socket. I still got the read only, I think, but it continued to load anyway. I then set the jumper back to cable select when I put it back into the tivo......I had know idea about any of this jumper or slave, master stuff when I started, but figured it out from bits and peices of post from all over. Some body that knows what their doing should post a sticky explaining all those settings in detail. One of the guides say if you dont know all that, burn the guide and forget hacking....Well guess what, WE (meaning me) are not to stupid to do this hack just because we havent built a computer from scratch before.....OK, I feel better now

OK so I have a question for you Loopy40:

I am a super newbie as well and have had a bitch of a time wading through all this tivo hacking crap. So much so that I am on the verge of giving up rather than ruining my Tivo... Are you saying that everytime you want to update your Tivo software, or remove old files or whatever, you need to take out the hard drive from your Tivo and stick it back into your PC?

And what is this serial cable I have read about?

You seem much more helpful than others so I am asking you.

Thanks

Originally posted by strakajagr
    OK so I have a question for you Loopy40:

I am a super newbie as well and have had a bitch of a time wading through all this tivo hacking crap. So much so that I am on the verge of giving up rather than ruining my Tivo... Are you saying that everytime you want to update your Tivo software, or remove old files or whatever, you need to take out the hard drive from your Tivo and stick it back into your PC?

And what is this serial cable I have read about?

You seem much more helpful than others so I am asking you.

Thanks
    It can and is being done by newbies all the time, but it sure helps if you have some basic idea of PC hardware.

If you expect you'll want to "play" with your system, you should consider the serial cable a must. You CAN take the drives out and put them on your PC whenever you need to make changes, but you'll find that gets old very fast.

You won't find anybody taking you by the hand here, (that's what the How-To is for) but once you've rolled up your sleeves and gotten into it, I think you'll find there are plenty of people to assist you.

OK so since you seemed to have responded so questions I didn't ask I will address your post, one statement at a time.

YOU SAID:
    "It can and is being done by newbies all the time"

What are you talking about?

I ASKED:
    "Are you saying that everytime you want to update your Tivo software, or remove old files or whatever, you need to take out the hard drive from your Tivo and stick it back into your PC?"

How does your sentance answer this at all?!?!

YOU SAID:
    "it sure helps if you have some basic idea of PC hardware."

I have built MANY PC's including my own. This is NOT an area of concern, nor did I ever imply it would be.

You answered my serial cable question because it was open-ended. I have no idea what this serial cable is even supposed to look like. I have searched far and wide and have been unable to find any photos. Withtout any reference photos, it makes it very difficult so understand.

Originally posted by strakajagr
    OK so since you seemed to have responded so questions I didn't ask I will address your post, one statement at a time.

YOU SAID:
    "It can and is being done by newbies all the time"

What are you talking about?

You said you were having trouble doing the hacking, I indicated it can be done by those with little knowledge.

I ASKED:
    "Are you saying that everytime you want to update your Tivo software, or remove old files or whatever, you need to take out the hard drive from your Tivo and stick it back into your PC?"

How does your sentance answer this at all?!?!

You want to pull the drives from the Tivo every time you need to make a change, be my guest. It's just much easier to be able to connect vial the serial cable and edit stuff without disassembling the Tivo.

YOU SAID:
    "it sure helps if you have some basic idea of PC hardware."

I have built MANY PC's including my own. This is NOT an area of concern, nor did I ever imply it would be.

You answered my serial cable question because it was open-ended. I have no idea what this serial cable is even supposed to look like. I have searched far and wide and have been unable to find any photos. Withtout any reference photos, it makes it very difficult so understand.

There are three descriptions of the cable here. You haven't searched very hard.

I am aware it CAN be done...I didn't ask if it could be done... I merely asked if it was necesary to pull out the hard drive.... now i know, clearly it isn't...thank you

Another question would be, do you need to remove the hard drive for the initial hacking or can it ALL be done via the serial cable?

I have read this before... This section is clearly describing the process that involves removing the hard drive... There is no mention of a serial cable anywhere. After searching the entire link, there is no mention of a serial cable ANYWHERE

"Ok now, to get a tivo drive recognized in your system do the following.

I assume 1 thing from here on out:

1. You will name your mounted partitions 4,7, and 9 (this will be clear later)

Note the Jumper selection if you do not know what a jumper is or
    what it does.. STOP.. burn this document and forget about screwing
    with the Tivo.

But if you do, Set the drive to be master and attach it to the
    secondary IDE connector. This will make the drive hdc (hard drive C)
    c = secondary master."

There is no way to do the initial Xtreme hack without pulling the drive. There are some secondary things you need to do after Xtreme also. This is where the serial connection comes in. And most ongoing mods you might have to do in the future can also be done over the serial link, saving wear and tear, and reducing the likelihood of problems with cables, bad connectors, etc..

got it.....well i think i may givbe it a try.....but i need to get the damn thing fixed first....it has a reset problem....so until that gets fixed i cannot do anything