Thread: dsr6k image on abs.net

20 dsr6k image on abs.net

Has anyone used the image from the /tivo/backups/Phillips_DSR6000_2.0-2DR directory on ftp.abs.net? I'm trying to load it to my original A drive and mfstools1.1 is giving me an error that the drive is not big enough for the image (probably not the exact statement but something to that effect). Is this really an image from a 40G single drive that has been mislabeled?

Based on that file name I'd say it came out of a 2 drive system.

Not all 40 gig drives are equall.

Yours maybe slightly smaller.

Lookup the exact capicity of your drive and compare it to a quantum fireball 40gig.

The quantum info can be found at www.maxtor.com.

An mfs backup of a 2 drive system should produce an image that will restore to a 30g drive. The 2 drive systems are 30g+15g and the single drive systems have a 40g drive. There is an image for a 40g single drive system also posted on abs.net.

I was able to do a backup and of my 30g+15g system and restore to the single 30g drive.

I've tried both images in the hopes that they were mislabeled and both give me the error.

If you don't mind using a Hughes image you can try the one named Hughes_GXCDBOT_2.0.0 on the same site. I successfully restored this one to the stock Quantum drive of a Hughes.

One word of warning though - this backup was made uncompressed so when you unrar it is about 1.3GB so you'll need a hard drive to install it from.

grog

I was thinking about trying that. I'm not sure how the image from one model would act in a different model.

Hughes and Phillips are identical

You shouldn't have any problem using a Hughes image on a Phillips. The boxes are identical. The Sony is the same as well but it uses a different remote so the codes are different.

I had loaded the Phillips 2.5Xtreme image on my Hughes for a while and it worked fine so I see no reason why a Hughes image wouldn't work on a Phillips. The only difference you'll see is you won't get the Phillips splash screen anymore and when you go to the system info screen it will display the manufacturer and model as Hughes instead of Phillips. That's it.

Turns out neither image loads on a 30g and both load on an 80g. I think that means that both images were made from a 40g unit.

Originally posted by 21aloysius
    Turns out neither image loads on a 30g and both load on an 80g. I think that means that both images were made from a 40g unit.
    I belive one image is from a 40G drive, the other is from a 30G+15G drive. (THey both require 40-45G to restore).

You can restore the 2DR to 2 drives, and then do a mfsbackup with the divorce option to create yourself a 24Hour/30G version of the software. This does work, I did it once myself.

Also, not all 40G drives are the same, if the original drive is ONE BYTE larger, than the drive you are trying to restore to, the restore will fail.

Interesting...

I've never used the divorce option and I actually didn't realize it was a seperate choice. When I did an mfs backup on my original 30g+15g it restored to a 30g without complaining and I didn't use any special options. In fact the documentation seems to indicate that divorcing the drives is the default action.

I checked the byte sizes and it turns out the original 30g drive I was trying to use was bigger by a few bytes.

So, I wasn't using a 30g drive that was too small and you don't have to restore a normal 30g+15g back to a 30g+15g setup.