Thread: Two quick DSR-6000 questions

Two quick DSR-6000 questions

Question 1: Is there any way on a Philips DSR-6000 to tell how much space/time is left on the hard drive?

Question 2: I think I'm getting about 29 hours worth of recording from my 60 GB hard drive. Is this normal?

Thanks!

Rick

Q1 Nope.

Q2 Sounds a little short. Did you TivoMad the drive to use all the space when you added the drive?

Your question 1 is the same as a recurring item in the suggestions/desired features area: some sort of gas guage. The conversation usually runs something like this: 1) What features do you want? 2) Gas guage! 3) That's too hard and here are 3 reasons why you shouldn't want that. <reasons follow> I doubt this discussion will end until they decide it's not too hard.

Re Q2, it's not hard, it's impossible. The data stream coming down is variable bit rate. There is no way the Tivo can tell ahead of time what amount of space a given show will use. Add to that the extra space if you record in Dolby Digital and you see why it's not so simple. About the best they could do is worst case guesstimating, but that's liable to be very inaccurate.

Regarding the "gas guage" - I know that the variable rate bitstream would prevent a "dead-nuts-on" accurate reading. However, the remaining recording time could still be displayed with a warning that the time is not accurate. This type of guage information was done quite a few times in the past with OS-embedded compression software. For example, if you installed DriveSpace under Windows, and then looked at your available space on the compressed drive, you would see approximately double the original space. The available space would decrease as you stored files depending on their compression ratio.

I'm not looking for an accurate meter, just one that lets me know where I'm at, relatively speaking.

BubbleLamp ... I don't remember if I did a "TivoMad". It's hard to remeber what I did, since I only did it once (and it worked on the first try!).

I ran the latest 2.5Xtreme setup - does that automatically TivoMad as part of the setup?

Rick

Yes, as part of the Xtreme process it does/should have executed the Tivomad script.

AFA Drivespace, that is a little more predictable, since the compression only gets to 2:1 and the file type distribution is pretty predictable too. If you ever watch a DVD and see how much the bit rate jumps all over the place, I think it'll give some idea of how much more random the data stream is. Anyway, I agree it'd be handy, but for now the answer is to put a honking big drive(s) in there and don't worry.

I thought I did. I guess that the 60 GB wasn't a big enough honk. I'll be buying a 80GB drive in just a few days to add to the system.

I suspect that I will be losing everything that was stored on the 60 GB drive - I think that when I re-run Xtreme on the 80 GB drive (with multiple drives selected "on" this time), the 60 GB drive may be incompatible as a second drive ...

Rick

You can make the 80GB your new A drive and use the 60GB as the B. Just make sure you hook them up to the proper IDE channels and jumper them correctly and you'll be all set.

Mercí!

Rick

with 60gb you should have about 53 hours variably....

Sounds like your TIVO Mad failed... I've had problems with it a couple times...

Bear.23 - that's a good point. Is there any way to find out if TivoMad failed (other than empirically)?

Also, I have recorded a couple of the movies with Dolby Digital sound. Does anyone know how much of an impact DD 5.1 makes in the storage? I would be extremely surprised if it required more than 25% more storage over a Pro Logic movie (I'm assuming that 80+% of the data is the video stream...)

Rick

using dolby digital can reduce the available recording time by about half.

see this post http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...&threadid=8259
    Last edited by poppagene; 02-21-2002 at 06:15 PM.

Holy Frijoles!

If this is the case, I guess I'll be recording less stuff in Dolby Digital. As a test, I'll delete my DD5.1 movies, and see how much the amount of space changes. I'll let you guys know the results.

Rick